PDA

View Full Version : Bottling Gallon Jugs

Bobby
03-15-2012, 07:20 AM
I am curious as to how others bottle plastic gallon jugs. I have been using a glass measuring cup to ensure the correct amount. Is there any easier way to fill these or to tell when you have the correct amount? Can I fill them directly from the filter tank without using a measuring cup?

PerryW
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Can I fill them directly from the filter tank without using a measuring cup? That's how I do it; fill them right to the top, lay them on their sides for 5-10 mins then tip them upright.

happy thoughts
03-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Do as Perry does. The "correct" amount is the amount needed for long shelf life and that means minimizing air space in the container. Also if you're measuring/filling say a 16 oz container with hot syrup, your container will end up with less than 16 oz of syrup on cooling. That's an important consideration if you're selling. Should you be checked by your state weights and measures guys, it's the cold volume they'll be checking and the volume that you should be selling.

maple2
03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
a gallon holds a gallon! should weigh 11 lbs.

wnybassman
03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
How do you keep the temperature high enough using a measuring cup?

Brent
03-17-2012, 09:12 AM
We just fill ours to the top and seal.
If you bottle hot as you are supposed to, you will put in a fair bit extra becasue the plastic bulges.
I did measure it with boiling hot water one day and I think it was just over a cup of extra.
So we adjust our price up a bit and tell folks how it works and that they're getting more than
1 gallon (4 litres). They smile, say good and take it away.
But we hate selling in gallons because you lose some revenue, especially on poor years like this,.