PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Naming

Troutman10
03-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm very far from selling my syrup if I ever do. Just been giving it away to friends and family. My neighbor keeps asking me what I'm going to name it. He says that I need a good name and logo. How did anyone on here think of their "name" and logo? What aspects can help me in naming? Any help is appreciated!

Zamkev
03-14-2012, 07:32 PM
We also only produce enough for friends family and home consumption (100 taps) I don't name my syrup, or have a logo, but I do print off a picture of my shed with a bucket on a tree in the foreground. I picked up some cheap peal-and-stick sheets that fit, and are suitable for, a home printer from a stationary store and printed off 10-12 oval pics on one sheet. In my opinion, a picture that has personal meaning to those you give it to is better than a logo or name. Just another idea for you.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
I was given the red metal roofing that is on my sugar house and for a lack of other good names "Red Roof Maples" was born. I don't know of any other sugaring operations that are named after the color of the sugar house roof so it is an original. It is also the place where the term "Boiling Soda" was born.

nymapleguy607
03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
I sell mine under Hill-Top Maple Farm, mainly because we live on top of the hill and have a small farm already, nothing overly technical.

Sandy
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Same 'ere, we live on a spot known as "Reef Point" so the farm became that name. Locals know who we are by our farm name, so they know where the product was made, and where to visit us for a good laugh! Our internet customers know us by our product, the business licenses and associations we belong to.

Your state dept of small business or dept. of agriculture may help some as to your name if you go legit and sell when you have to register as a business and pick the type of business you are; LLC, partnership, sole proprietor, etc. They have a registry of available business names; you can query a preferred name choice on their website to see if it is "available."

RileySugarbush
03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Our giveaway syrup is Dog Cabin.

spencer11
03-14-2012, 10:45 PM
mine is Carney's Maple Farm, since me and my dad got into this about 5 years ago and i just came up with the orignal name this year. just my last name and maple farm. plain and simple. i have yet to produce a logo, but i have designed a few..

spencer

hounder
03-15-2012, 07:31 AM
I agree the logo does associate people to you by sight. We are an established (65 years) Christmas Tree Farm and Blueberries. We also train hound dogs and bird dogs. We use the farm name, Molyneaux's Tree Farm, but the logo is a cool picture of a Christmas Tree with a bird on top of the tree and a coyote trying to get the bird. We are tying in our established business as that is where my customer base is from.

highlandcattle
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM
We began our farm as a Scotch Highland cattle operation in 1996. We have a 15 acre sugarbush above the pasture, so started experimenting with this. Began real small with a friend and a thrown together setup with plywood and tarps, Have the pic's, and it's hilarious! Worked our way through several setups as we grew. Wasted money trying to figure things out. Now just going to add on the saphouse and put in more taps. So because we're on a mountain and there is a hill in the pasture, we settled on Highland Hills Farm. My daughter is a computer guru, so she pretty much handles the heavy stuff, I "twidlle" and she yells at me to stop touching things! We have used several logos. Then this year nothing went right , so went on Vistaprint and was very happy with what we got. Yes, we're too small for anyone to want to bother with us and the stuff is just too expensive at regular printing places. We tried printed at home, but that goes through ink real fast. So jus look around and see what you want. Good luck

jrgagne99
03-15-2012, 10:56 AM
We live at the end of a dirt road called Boulder Trail, so we are Boulder Trail Sugaring.

Buckshot Bob
03-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Buckshot Bobs Backyard Syrup.............even made a few labels for some i gave away, everyone loved it. 1st timer this season and did just over 3 gal.

maple flats
03-30-2012, 05:08 AM
My name is Dave, so I started with Dave's Sugarhouse. Then when I started on the web, that was taken, so the name changed to Dave and Joan's Sugarhouse, both are registered DBA's and the new one is registered as a secondary name of the original one, both are used and it works well for us.
I think the important thing is just that you pick a name and then go to your county and register it in the clerk's office. The exception to registering is if you use your full legal name. The registering is to make legal a "doing business as" (DBA) name. I'm still thinking about a logo. My syrup sells well after 10 seasons and we have a good repeat business. At the sugarhouse we also have a sign telling where our syrup is "also available at". In the 3 weeks we have had product at one store we sold about 12-14 containers of various sizes. We managed to get display space directly across from the entrance, a 1.5' x 3' 4 tier rack, with just our syrup.
Dave

rayi
04-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Some interesting names If I did name my syrup I would likely have to call it burnt syrup maple Not really apealing to the public but real accurate

Bucket Head
04-22-2012, 10:15 PM
No, "burnt" is'nt appealing. Why not try "sun dryed"? I see that a lot at the grocery store. Years ago my father and I made a batch of "sun dryed" syrup also.

rayi
04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
There is never sun when I boil It's always cold and rainy

maple flats
04-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Don't pick "burnt" or anything to steer customers away. Whatever you chose should just be unique to YOU. My name is rather ordinary, but since I have used the name, first for my upick blueberry farm, and now the maple, in addition to several other upick crops changing would only serve to confuse the issue. Back when I started doing maple I did not plan to get very big and thought just selling to the fellow school bus drivers would be the extent of my sales. I now realize things grew far above that and will continue to grow for 2 or 3 more seasons. Had I put the for though in you are I would have likely picked a more unique name, but as I said, I'll not change at this time. I have a very good following and I don't want to send a confusing message to them.

SDdave
04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Uncle Dave's Backyard Maple Syrup.

Pretty self explanatory, but the characterure (most definetly not slleped right:lol:) of a donkey hee hawing increases the curiosity (OK its official I cant spell).

Back to the booze!
SDdave

Dave Y
06-22-2012, 08:44 AM
When you go in to business you should use your family name. It is some thing you should be proud of and your product should be something worthy of your name. when you introduce your self to people the will know right away you are the producer or the producers family. Just my two cents.