PDA

View Full Version : nasty experience

bowtie
03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
well today was going to be my last boil but after last night i calling it quits for the year. yesterday i collected in the morning and only could get to about 100 of my taps because my haul tank was full, the sap looked and smelled fine but when i started to boil the smell was terrible. i thought maybe it was because my tank was a little dirty or maybe because my pan had a little junk on it from boiling over but after a five hours of nasty smelling steam i drew off and the mostly finished syrup smelled so bad i almost threw-up! my trees are not showing buds and i would not think one day would cause the sap to sour but what ever happened it was gross. i read on her yesterday that i guy said that mere thought of boiling buddy sap almost sickened him and now i know what he meant. wow it was bad! over the weekend my skimmings started to smell fishy but it always smells bad, and the sap smelled good while boiling and the syrup smells fine and tastes good albiet it is quite dark. i guess it was a lesson learned, if you are not sure don't bother, making inferior product is not worth it. hope no one else has a bad boil like mine. already planning for next year with new ideas and hopes for a better year.

PerryW
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
yeah, everybody always talks about watching the sugar maple buds to tell when to stop sugaring, but, in my opinion they don't seem to change until a week or two after the bud run.

Greg Freeze
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
I had the same thing...sap looked fine and no budding, but nasty syrup.

DonMcJr
03-13-2012, 05:31 PM
All my trees had little buds all winter...but today every tree but the 2 I have been tapping since Feb 19th Flowered...They have white puff balls where the red buds used to be...So I'm assuming that's flowering...and I am probally Done.

I have my 44 gallon container full and them 2 trees that didn't pop yet are still giving up sap. It's good though because any more sap I get is going in 5 gallon buckets with 20ox Bottes of Ice Frozen to keep it cool and I can boil it separate...

Sure hope this 44 gallons doesn't gimme that smell...:-|