PDA

View Full Version : Bottling directly off the filter press.

Mike Czok
03-12-2012, 07:03 AM
this is my first year using a filter press. Can I bottle directly from the press? I'm wondering if it will be warm enough. I'm saving syrup till I have 10-12 gallons before putting it through I know I have to reheat it before it goes through the press but I'd rather not reheat it again to can it. Looking for suggestions! Thanks

StayinLowTech
03-12-2012, 08:21 AM
The question is; will the syrup be between 180 to 190 when it goes in the container in order to kill microorganisms and prevent future mold formation. Measure temp coming out the press.

NYScott
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I do , and I also batch process it in about 10 gallon batches. I also heat the syrup to over 200 before running it through the press. Check the temp on the other side and se what you have. You need atleast 185. Make sure you have the hands I run the press and one to two people are bottling.

Good Luck
Scott

markct
03-13-2012, 05:22 AM
I think you will find you spill alot and its a hassle, its definatly hot enough, i often fill the bottler from the filter press then bottle with no reheating. sometimes i will refill the jugs we reuse at home or someones jug they brought by right from the filter press between barrels but i wouldnt want to try and fill all the jugs that way the bottler is much easier

ennismaple
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
We normally run 10-15 gallons through the press at once, which is about an hour's worth. By the time it's filtered and into the re-heating unit the syrup is at 160 F. We need to let it heat up to 180 F before we package it.

user587
08-16-2012, 01:41 PM
I would recommend caution with filtering directly out of a filter press. After going through our gear 3-bank 7" wesfab, the syrup comes out at about 160-165 - we have a direct syrup temp probe in our water-jacketed canner. We pre-heat the filter press by warming the plates (in near boiling water) before assembly with filter papers, and then we run simmer-boiling syrup through the press to charge it. Then when we fire up and hit the canner, the first quart or so is still only 160-165. It warms very rapidly as the syrup coming into the canner gets hotter, and the water jacket (held at 194-196F) helps also. Perhaps if you filled a 1 gallon first the avg. temp might be hot enough (?).

So I would recommend measuring the temp of the first-filled bottle before proceeding too far.

The water-jacketed canner with water and syrup temp probes is a great tool - gives peace of mind knowing that you're bottling at proper temp, and prevents the need to rush when filling bottles.

Scott

Jeff E
08-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Agreed that doing a batch will not get the syrup hot enough at the start. I will often recirculate the syrup back into the draw off tank to check clarity (in case I have a paper in the press wrong) and this will preheat the press as well.
We will filter in 3-5 gallon runs, usually every 10-15 minutes. First syrup through goes into a barrel. When everything is hot (we cover the filter press to hold heat), we then will occassionally bottle directly from the filter press. For us it is convenient, but we have to be careful of the temps. Running it into the heated bottler makes sense.
Also the bottles used can make going from the filter press difficult. Plastic, no way. You have to be able to see the syrup level. Small opening flasks, such as 8oz or 12 oz, cant get our tube in the opening so they dont work either. So for us, it is only glass pints and quarts.