PDA

View Full Version : Draining Pan Question

SeanD
03-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Looks like Tuesday night will be my last boil. As I get down to the end, I'd like to drain the back pan and just finish off the last of the sap on the front pan. It would be too little sap for both pans, but too much for my finisher on the stove or it would mean many hours boiling on it.

Is there a way to safely drain the back pan during a boil while the evaporator is still hot? Can I open the door to get enough cool air in to drain it and then refill it with water, then start up with just the front again?

I've done this before, but on two separate nights, so I drained it when it was cold. It would be nice to bang out 40-50 gallons using the benefits of both pans then get the last 8-10 on the front pan all in one evening.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

HHM-07
03-11-2012, 06:44 PM
run water in your back pan that will push things into the front to finish, do not drain the back pan with a fire in your arch.

PerryW
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
you pretty much have to let the evaporator cool before removing the back pan sap. You can chase the back pan w/ water as HHM-07 suggested, but you will lose some sugar.

SeanD
03-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Okay thanks. Better safe than sorry for a bucket of sap. I tried chasing with water a couple of years ago and it never really pushed the sweet along, it just diluted it. Thanks for the replies.

Sean