PDA

View Full Version : will this strange year have an effect on syrup prices due to possible shortages?

bowtie
03-11-2012, 01:48 PM
with all the talk about the short season and low sap to tap ratios do you guys think that will have any effect on the syrup market. i have to think the big guys are going to be way down this year in most areas, that can not be good for them but will it cause a small spike in syrup prices later this year and into next?

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
There is 1/3 of a normal crop in storage in Quebec

sjdoyon
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Hard to say in the short run. If this is a short year, best prices would be next fall or near X-mas when the larger bottlers run out and are looking to keep their customers happy.

We're hoping for a good 10-14 days. Our best producing time up here on the border is generally late March/early April. Sugarmaker near us made his 500+ gallons last year all in April.

Russell Lampron
03-12-2012, 05:15 AM
The bulk prices are set by what the season produces in Quebec. If they have an average to above average season prices will pretty much stay the same. If they have a poor season like down here in the states and they have to use up their surplus the prices will go up. How much will depend on how low the syrup supply is. Last year the US producers had a banner year and Bascoms had a good supply in storage. We will just have to wait and see what happens in Quebec.

OneLegJohn
04-03-2012, 09:59 PM
with all the talk about the short season and low sap to tap ratios do you guys think that will have any effect on the syrup market. i have to think the big guys are going to be way down this year in most areas, that can not be good for them but will it cause a small spike in syrup prices later this year and into next?

I think so. I'm happy to buy syrup at today's price. I'm expecting quite a bump in The States going into the fall season. I will be happy to earn $0.25 on a dollar. That is a great return on investment.

red maples
04-04-2012, 07:23 AM
going from a huge bumper crop to worst crop in years. I remember bruce Bascom saying that things will mostly likely balance out. from last year to this. he called it!!! I think there might be a slight increase but not too much. Now looing ahead next year will be the year to tell what happens. If we get better Spring temps and a little snow then that could make all the difference in the world!!! but if next year is bad then prices will rise!!!

I raised my retail price a little for several reasons I explained it too people that asked (some my regular customers) and the agreed with my reasoning. 1. bad year for me 2. oil prices not matter what your fuel wood oil etc. it will effect everything from plastic tubing to plastic jugs, wood prices splitting, chainsaw gas and lubricant and everything else that has a petrolium product linked to it.

Greenwich Maple Man
04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
I think everybody needs to remember that nobody can buy Canadian syrup and put in in a state jug. Most people that buy syup want the jug to read made in NY , VERMONT, ME, etc. or whatever state they are purchasing in. Therefore we might get fooled as to what the prices will do. The big packers want everybody to think they have a endless supply. That way everybody will keep selling at a lower rate as opposed to them having to raise the price. My belief is unless you aren't going to be able to eat I would hold off as long as possiable before selling in bulk. Maple Grove is $0.20 more per pound on Comercial than alot of others right now. It will be interesting to see what it does.

markcasper
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
2. oil prices not matter what your fuel wood oil etc. it will effect everything from plastic tubing to plastic jugs, wood prices splitting, chainsaw gas and lubricant and everything else that has a petrolium product linked to it.

Not trying to step on anyones toes here, but i here it almost everday and people must realize whats going on. Everyone talks about oil prices going up. The primary reason is because the dollar is being devalued, oil is really not going up in the primary sense, rather because of massive monetary injection, it is causing inflation. In laymans terms, there are too many dollars chasing too few goods and services. Yes syrup will go up some later this year primarily because it was a poor year. As for many other things going up, its because of money printing by the Fed.

If someone tells you prices are up because there are shortages, that is mostly not true!

OneLegJohn
04-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Greenwich MM, I couldn't agree more.