PDA

View Full Version : Very Dark...What'sThat Mean? Is It Over?

DonMcJr
03-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Well I won't even mention 41 Gallons took me almost 24 Hours Start to Finish...

Look How Dark! All my Sap was Crystal Clear!

The Niter was like MUD!

So does this mean my trees Bud's are poppin'?

http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/MOPhoto/albums/userpics/10005/normal_100oz.jpg

Here's the Comparison to the last Batch...

http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/MOPhoto/albums/userpics/10005/normal_compare~0.jpg

Time for BED!!!!! Goodnight all!:cool:

rgmaple
03-11-2012, 05:58 AM
You didn't say how the syrup tasted. Does it taste strong but good, or does it taste buddy?

John c
03-11-2012, 08:08 AM
I'll agree it's darker, but it's still got that nice pretty red tint. I also did a batch yesterday that had niter that looked like sludge, but the syrup tastes absolutely out of this world!!!
If your sap is crystal clear then your trees are ready to produce more good sap, but unfortunately the weather is gonna dictate if it runs.
When your syrup doesn't have that pretty red tint and takes on more of a dull "black-n-blue" color then you know it's over!

wnybassman
03-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Hey Don, put it on a window sill or something so we can see through it. A better idea of what it looks like that way.

rgmaple
03-11-2012, 08:37 AM
TASTE IT. Does it taste buddy? If so, you know your syrup season is over.

DonMcJr
03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
This is my 1st year... so what exactly is "Taste Buddy"...lol! My Dog's name is Buddy...:o

Here's the Window Pic...had to wake up from the Boiling on a Turkey Fryer Forever Nightmare LOL!

Before the Pic... I have FULL Buckets out there right now...It's gonna be close to 60 all week and I can't boil til the weekend...What should I do?

http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/MOPhoto/albums/userpics/10005/normal_Window.jpg

DonMcJr
03-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Oh....Nevermind... I just tasted the bottle that was for me cause it wasn't full... MMMmmmmm!

Still in 60 degrees weather in a garage with no windows in 5 gallon buckets...Will the sap keep til next Saturday?

John c
03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
These temps do pose a problem, but if I were you I would start freezing lots of 16oz. water bottles and using them in the buckets. You will obviously have to swap them out daily. Keep the buckets on the cool concrete floor and cover with a blanket. I think you will be just fine if you are diligent!

DonMcJr
03-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks John! I have a 44 Gallon Food Grade Plastic Container and I just filled it with 22 gallons of Sap all from last night and today and the trees are still giving it up and all clear!

Just put six 2 liter pop bottles of water in the Freezer and have 6 more ready to go in the freezer when them are froze...

So if I end up filling the 44 gallon container or not the 6 Bottles of ice should make it so I can try out my new evaporator next weekend!:cool:

happy thoughts
03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
don- fill the 2 liter bottles with sap and freeze that. If a bottle cracks at least you won't dilute your sap and you're kinda killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

DonMcJr
03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Thought of that Happy but I have a busy day and week so I had to use water...The plus is next weekend I'll have my leader half pint evaporator!!!!

I'll be emptying buckets of sap and changing the bottles then off to do the busy stuff I have all week!

Of all weeks to HAVE TO have things to do... Life sucks sometimes!

wnybassman
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
This is my 1st year... so what exactly is "Taste Buddy"...lol! My Dog's name is Buddy...:o

Here's the Window Pic...had to wake up from the Boiling on a Turkey Fryer Forever Nightmare LOL!

Before the Pic... I have FULL Buckets out there right now...It's gonna be close to 60 all week and I can't boil til the weekend...What should I do?

http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/MOPhoto/albums/userpics/10005/normal_Window.jpg

See, that doesn't look so bad now.

DonMcJr
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
See, that doesn't look so bad now.

Yep and it tastes GREAT!

JohnC...Thanks for the Ice in the bottle idea you saved my sap so I can boil on my new toy this weekend!:cool: