PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question on Bottling

bunkerchump
03-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi, First timer here. Have some concentrate in the fridge which I will be finishing maybe tommorrow. Purchased some 8oz and 3.4 bottles from Bascom's. Do I need to sanitize them prior to bottling my syrup? I was planning on finishing, filtering, then re-heating to 180-200 then bottling with a food funnel. If sanitizing is needed, what do you recommend (dishwasher on sanitize cycle without detergent, boiling in a pot, dry-heat in an oven). Thanks in advance for your help,

DonMcJr
03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I boil my glass bottles and caps on the Stove in a pot of boiling water but this is my 1st year so others might have better ideas...

acadianmaple
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi John, If you are using new bottles from a supplier it is not necessary to sanitize or or wash your bottles before you package your syrup. You should always put the syrup in the bottle and have the cap on at a minimum of 180F. Once the cap is sealed invert the bottle for 10-20 seconds and then your good to go. At this temperature the hot syrup will kill any yeasts or other biological contaminants that could potentially be in the bottle.

Never boil caps prior to using. Caps, for the most part, are designed for single use only and if exposed to boiling water the materials they are made out of can be damaged sufficiently to not ensure a correct air tight seal on your bottle. So only use new caps.

I hope this helps.

William Allaway

bunkerchump
03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Great, Thanks William! This helps a ton. I'm glad I asked or I probably would have boiled everything (including the caps). I will be sure to pour off and cap > or = 180 then invert. Thanks again, John.