PDA

View Full Version : New word for small batch guys

Yeserday
03-10-2012, 09:25 PM
After a wonderful afternoon, I think I "invented" a new word: "Nearup"
I got home after boiling today and my wife asked how it went. I said I made a gallon of Nearup, because it wasn't quite syrup, but it was near syrup. Is that a word?
I think it fits my process pretty well. Boil down for several hours, and get some nearup to finish of later.
What do you think? Anyone else making nearup and then finishing it later?

wnybassman
03-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Yep, I make nearup every time I boil. The nearup I bring into the house is usually 2 3/4 to 3 gallons worth, and finishes out at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gallons of syrup.

MapleME
03-10-2012, 09:33 PM
We all call is "Sweet". " I got 14 gallons of sweet to finish off tomorrow night.."

John c
03-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I like it! Yes I sometimes boil down to "nearup" depending on the work day I either had or am going to have and it also saves me from having to clean up more than I need to, But on the weekends I make SYRUP!

Lloyd Miller
03-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I have always boiled to "Sweet" (I like the"Nearup" term!).
I usually have 2-3 gallons of Sweet after a boil of 30 - 35 gallons of sap.
I'm wondering how long can I keep the Sweet to batch finish to syrup after two or three boils?

Vermont Creation Hardwood
03-14-2012, 04:54 AM
I always boil in batches, and finish the near syrup inside where I can watch carefully over it. I fill my flat pans full with sap. This allows me to boil without watching. They don't foam. I can do other chores while the sap is boiling. I refill the pans as the sap boils down, till I run out of sap. Then I get it as close to syrup as I can, while at the same time allowing the fire to die. With experience I've been able to get quite close.

Near syrup will keep for longer than you need to keep it. As long as you're talking about a week or so, no problem. It's almost syrup.

Lyle
03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Lloyd, I see we are neighbors. How did you do this year? Was your sugar low like mine as well?

mathprofdk
03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Yep, I boil to nearup, too. Much easier that way when you're only boiling down 30-40 gallons at a time!

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
03-15-2012, 06:05 AM
I call mine "almost syrup" because it is almost syrup :lol: but not yet.