PDA

View Full Version : What should I use??

emericksmaple
03-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Here is what I have. We have a bush with 1600 in it at the moment, could probalaly be expanded to a max of 2500. At the moment we have 2- 1 inch lines that Bring the sap to the tank. The reason for 2 it that the bush is kinda split in the middle with a small ridge. We are thinking of adding vaccum to this bush next year, but here is the problem. From the tank to the first tap on either mainline it is 2200 feet. The vaccum pump has to be placed at the tank because that is the only place to get electric. Gas powered is out of the question due to both of us working and not being able to be there to start it. So here are the million dollar questions???

1. If I run 2 drylines one up each mainline to a booster at the beginning of the bush what size should I run?.
2. Would it be more feezable to run one larger one up one mainline and once up there run a connection over to a booster on the other side on the bush? It is probabley 1500 feet between the 2 in the bush.
3. Would I need a bigger vaccum pump than the ones in the leader catalog that are rated for 3000 taps?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Where did this post come from? I must be deleting the highlighted yellow blocks when i make a post on something else and then when i hit return to mapletraders main page things are white.

Boy this is a Tuff one/I'd Check with the guy using bags for an answer.

From what little i know about any sugaring subject and all others=Here goes

brookledge
03-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I agree with Kevin, need to know more about the slope. If you have 6-8 percent slope vs 2-4% it will be like night and day as to what you need.
Keith

emericksmaple
03-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I have plenty of slope on both main lines so much that I didn't have to use a sight level to know if it was going downhill!! That is kinka what I was thinking leave the one inch mains in place and run a 1 1/4 dryline up both of them. Once you get to the taps all of our mains are under 800 feet.

brookledge
03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
With that long of a distant I think you will be better off by putting in the dry lines. Is there any way that you could run a larger dry line like 1.5" and then split to 2 1.25" lines. Just a thought with 2200 feet and if you run 2 seperate lines thats 4400' X .40= $1760. The nice thing about dry line is that you don't have to worry about the slope.
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-29-2006, 06:37 AM
post edited

emericksmaple
03-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Kevin, You got it right. There is 1500 feet between the (2)1" main. The one good thing is that they both carry the same amount of taps 800 a piece. Another good question here. If i am running just say 24"of vaccum at the pump, will i be able to carry 24" at my first booster??? If I have all my leaks sealed. And should I maybe put a booster about 1100' up both mains to help??? Thank you all for your input.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-30-2006, 07:46 AM
post edited

emericksmaple
03-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Kevin,
Thank you so very much!!!! Now all I have to do is convince Dad to go along with the investment this year. If I have any more which I know I will I will let you know.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-31-2006, 06:23 AM
Investment?

forester1
03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
So Kevin, or anybody, If you were setting up a brand new vacuum system, would you go with a single mainline or two line wet/dry system? What is the "best"?

mapleman3
03-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Forester, that depends on How long the mainline is and how many taps....

sweetwoodmaple
03-31-2006, 07:54 AM
...and how straight you can get your mainline and how much slope as well.

Plastic has a large thermal expansion coefficient, so it is difficult to keep it straight during a 40 degree temperature swing.

Plus, it comes down to $$ too. Large diameter mainline can be more costly than two smaller lines.

Yes, vacuum is a no brainer except if you can't handle the extra sap. 250 gallons of syrup means collecting and boiling an extra 10,000 gallons of sap. It is worth it on paper, but it may be more than you want to handle. I had this same thought with investing in vacuum this year with only a 2 x 6. If I would not have installed the 3 x 10, I would be in the insane asylum with all the sap.

Matt and his Dad are a two man operation, so something to consider.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-31-2006, 10:30 AM
post edited

emericksmaple
04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok another dumb question here. Could I get away with a 1"wet line and a 1" dry line to do this???.The reason i asked we called today and priced 5000' of mainline and for one inch it was $.24per foot and 1 1/4 was $.44 per ft.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-12-2006, 08:49 PM
post edited

emericksmaple
05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Well we bit the bullet today. We had the electric co. come out and give us an estimate on how much it would cost to run electric to where we want to put up the pumphouse for this project. It is 735ft from where their existing line ends to where we need the electric. Yesterday the engineer told me that the 1st 400' they would do for free, then $10.77 per foot!!! after that. But after she looked the project over today she told us if we bury it underground she would do it for nothing!!! All it is going to cost us is a machine to dig a trench and 735' of conduit, which is no prob for us since we have relation with a track hoe. Then we went and ordered 5000' of 1 1/4" for our dry lines and got it for .30 a foot, not a bad price I think??!! Also ordered the releaser and 3 boosters and a 5hp Watercooled vaccum pump. Now the only thing left is a lot of work between now and then!!!

brookledge
05-11-2006, 08:04 PM
sounds good :D :D
Keith

ennismaple
05-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you. Technically it's not work when you enjoy sugaring as much as we all do but it can sure make for some sore muscles!

Which releaser did you buy? I'm in the market to buy 2 electric and 2 mechanical releasers within the next year or two and want to get something I install and never have to worry about.

emericksmaple
05-12-2006, 09:47 PM
We purchased a Gilles Bernard Double Vertical machanical releaser. I have had one in another bush now for 4 years and have not had any trouble with it so far.