PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a burnt pan

Lightner92
03-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Well gentlemen I did it, I can't believe I did it but I did. Evaporator was getting low I went out to throw some wood in and back to the garage to work on a welding project. Long story short I have a burnt pan, not the whole pan, just in the middle. I have been scraping for hours, it is coming off but taking a long time. Is there something to use that will loosen things up. 2x4 raised flu pan, SS sodered. Lesson learned, any suggestions would be great. Thanks Ryan

twofer
03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
We did it this year too and ended up scrubbing with vinegar. I assume your pan isn't lead based solder?

Lightner92
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Straight white vinegar??

Brian Ryther
03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I also burnt my syrup pan this year. Vinigar did the trick. After boiling the vinigar and letting it sit for a few hours the burnt stuff flaked of the pan. Very little elbow grease required.

nymapleguy607
03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Does that work on sugar sand? Just thinking how I could clean my flue pan.

Brent
03-10-2012, 05:47 PM
This year my wife went out for some vinegar and found "Cleaning Vinegar" 10% Acetic acid. Double that of regular vinegar.
It lifted the sugar sand off without heat or scrubbing.

For the burnt area, I would go with Easy Off Oven Cleaner. I used it to get the cresote of the outside of the flue when I bought the used
rig and I think it would be good on a sugar burn too.

wnybassman
03-10-2012, 05:51 PM
This year my wife went out for some vinegar and found "Cleaning Vinegar" 10% Acetic acid. Double that of regular vinegar.
It lifted the sugar sand off without heat or scrubbing.

Do you have a brand name on that cleaning vinegar? Thx

Brent
03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
It's a Canadian brand "Alens" They are big up here in apple juice, apple sauce etc.

I don't think its and unique idea so I think you should be able to find it in the USA.

Lightner92
03-10-2012, 07:30 PM
how would I know if my soder was lead based or not?

Brent
03-10-2012, 09:04 PM
get a lead test kit. They're cheap.

guitarsage1
03-11-2012, 05:46 AM
get a lead test kit. They're cheap.

angle grinder with brass wheel

Brent
03-11-2012, 07:04 AM
angle grinder with brass wheel

:o Brilliant. Brass contains Lead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

guitarsage1
03-11-2012, 07:27 AM
:o Brilliant. Brass contains Lead

yea and I'm sure that steel is just soaking up that lead. do you think I didn't clean it after. soapy water boil hello:o plus I figured a steel wheel would damage the steel eventually.
and thanks 4 the ahole comment, a simple "did u know? " woulda done

Brent
03-11-2012, 07:32 AM
I would suggest not using any wheel or any abrasive or scraper.

The vinegar suggestion is great. In fact if you apply for an organic certificate, vinegar is one
of the approved pan cleaners.

Using any mechanical means to clean a pan only roughs up the surface.
Roughing up the surface is something we do when we want to make things stick ... like paint.

wnybassman
03-11-2012, 07:36 AM
And properties of metals do transfer from one metal to another. I can see that in my stainless pan where a grinder was used that was not meant for stainless.

guitarsage1
03-11-2012, 07:37 AM
I would suggest not using any wheel or any abrasive or scraper.

The vinegar suggestion is great. In fact if you apply for an organic certificate, vinegar is one
of the approved pan cleaners.

Using any mechanical means to clean a pan only roughs up the surface.
Roughing up the surface is something we do when we want to make things stick ... like paint.

good point. but to the naked eye the brass wheel didn't seem to rough up the surface anymore than the sinks brushed finish anyway. but I'm sure ur right . I don't paint I lacquer.

brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. lead is sometimes added to improve machinability at a rate of 1.5% to 2%.

ToadHallFarm
03-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Vinegar works but for extra power use a product called Bon Ami. It's very affordable, comes in a powder and you can get it at most grocery stores. DH burned one of my SS pans and it was the only thing that got the burn off. I have yet to find something it won't clean and the best part is its all natural.

SugarCentral
02-25-2018, 07:48 PM
So I burned my pan for the first time, on the first boil of the year😤. How long do you let the vinegar soak/Bon Ami? Thanks for any help.