PDA

View Full Version : plastic tank questin?

spencer11
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
what are the advantages of a stainless tank over a plastic one? i know stainless is much more expensive compaired to plastic. what are the pros and cons of each?

spencer

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Stainless is more cleanable. Plastic is somewhat porous so may retain off flavors and odors, and cleaning product residuals that can be passed to the next batch. Biggest pro for plastic is it's cost. SS is going through the roof as are most metals.

spencer11
03-10-2012, 10:51 AM
i have heard if sap is stored in a plastic tank it will make darker syrup than if sap is stored in stainless. is this true?

spencer

wiam
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
i have heard if sap is stored in a plastic tank it will make darker syrup than if sap is stored in stainless. is this true?

spencer

I doubt that if the tank is clean. I have made a quite a bit of Fancy and my tank in the woods and my tank that feeds the ro are plastic. My only stainless is the feed tank for the evaporator.

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM

spencer

Syrup bottled in plastic will turn darker and can lose a grade in a few months time but I've never heard about that happening to sap stored in plastic. Sap isn't kept in plastic for very long, certainly not months, so as long as you keep the sap tank clean I doubt you'll have a problem with darkening.

Fred Henderson
03-10-2012, 05:11 PM
A plastic tank with its bulk head fitting is miserable to get clean and have it drain out.

maplwrks
03-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Plastic tanks are just like a green house---I've a 2 plastic ones that are going down the road as soon as I can afford stainless.

spencer11
03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
thanks for the info guys. i cant afford stainless right now, but any more info on the green house thing?

spencer

spencer11
05-23-2012, 04:29 PM
got another question, what should i clean plastic drums with? i just got 2 more juice drums, and can get another 4...for free! they are closed top and still have some juice and water in them, what should i clean them with? and i cant scrub the inside cause they are the closed top.

spencer

ennismaple
05-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd clean them with hot water run through your pressure washer.

spencer11
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM
i dont have a pressure washer...but would just a garden hose work?

spencer

maple flats
05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
thanks for the info guys. i cant afford stainless right now, but any more info on the green house thing?

spencer
With the sun hitting them they heat up quickly. I have one I cover with an 90% shadecloth (like a net that blocks 90% of the sun, the open weave lets any warmth out, this helps a lot.)

spencer11
05-25-2012, 05:07 PM
all of my tanks will be in the shade, and the couple drums im using for collection tanks i can pack snow around

spencer

ennismaple
05-28-2012, 12:04 PM
i dont have a pressure washer...but would just a garden hose work?

spencer

A garden hose may get the surficial dirt off (with some work) but a pressure washer will remove far more of the crud that accumulates in the surface imperfections of the tank.

spencer11
05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
i guy i am friends with details cars and im pretty sure he has a pressure washer,not sure if it will heat the water or not. i can see if i can barrow it. would i be better off to cut the tops off so i could scrub them out? i would like to keep the closed tops on just in case i use them for something else in the future.

spencer

wiam
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
i guy i am friends with details cars and im pretty sure he has a pressure washer,not sure if it will heat the water or not. i can see if i can barrow it. would i be better off to cut the tops off so i could scrub them out? i would like to keep the closed tops on just in case i use them for something else in the future.

spencer

They would clean easier with tops removed. That is what I would do if using for static storage. I even cut a 16" hole in the top of my 210 gallon pickup tank so it could be cleaned.:)

spencer11
05-29-2012, 06:43 AM
okay, so i cut the top off 1 of them last night and just sprayed it with the hose just to get the big stuff off. i may cut the other tops off to

spencer