PDA

View Full Version : Stainless pots

donka
03-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Hello all,

I have a small 30 tap operation and just got myself a propane burner for finishing outdoors. Does anyone know where I could track down a large stainless pot? I checked out the ones at Cabelas but they seem a little on the flimsy side for what they cost. Thanks in advance.

-ryan

spencer11
03-10-2012, 09:39 AM
my mom got me a 5 gallons stainless pot to finish in for christmas. i soldered a nippe on it and put a ball valve on there. i this it was from walmart or someplace like that. mine it pretty thin, and it was only $15

spencer

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Look for a SS stock pot at any dept or cooking store. Walmart might even carry cheap ones but if you want one to last into lobster season, look for heavier gauge stainless and riveted, not welded handles. They come in all sizes and price ranges. The best ones have heavy metal cores in the bottom for even heating. A restaurant supply store might also carry some used ones.

Redmaple
03-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Home depot has a nice big deep one in the grill section.

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Those at home depot still look pricey to me. Donka If there's one near you, did you check Reny's?

donka
03-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to go check a few of those spots mentioned. I know of a restaurant supply place in Portland I'll check that out first.

sap seeker
03-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Mardens, cheap.

wnybassman
03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
I like the thinner pots better for better heat control. Thicker metal is not as responsive to slight adjustments in flame, which comes in handy when starting to boil over. lol

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
If you're near Portland you could also try the Christmas Tree Shop. They should have something in the economy line and may even have some better quality ones if you're lucky.

killingworthmaple
03-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Someone has them for sale in the classified part of this site.

The
03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I got one at mardens it was cheap and big

buxtonboiler
03-13-2012, 01:42 AM
I got mine at cabela's. I bought the whole turkey fryer set up. I liked the pot because it has a drain valve that I use for bottling.

Sandy
03-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Got the combo turkey fryer at Cabellas with drain valve on the pot, but the pot is thin and bottom scorches easily. Also, the drain valve is flimsy (read CHEAP) so we don't use the valve at all. It will do for now. You can't beat MArdens, shoulda' got it when i saw it and all that, or even try Mallside if your near Bangor, you know, they gotcha covah'd!

MapleOak
03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Look for the six or eight inch (deep) full size drip trays/pans... if you go to a restaurant supply store they should have them... it's fairly thin so you get pretty good heat transfer... we have think stainless pots for boiling water and it takes a forever to heat up water... stainless steel does not transfer heat well...

A question for others... are those turkey fryer pans stainless or aluminum?

twocanines
03-18-2012, 07:55 AM
The turkey fryer pot I got with the kit was aluminum. I went to Ocean State Job Lot and got mine. (stainless)