PDA

View Full Version : "Sap Suckers Sugar Shack 2012 Update"

Backyard Sapper66
03-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Hello all you fellow (and lady) "sappers" out there,

I figured it was time to start a thread even if the sap isn't running worth a dang.

Made a temporary "sugar shack" this season out of a metal frame temporary garage assembly (11 foot x 21 foot). Added some wood sheeting for a roof and used pallets for the walls and stapled tar paper and plastic to the outside for protection from the elements. Made a cupola and used pallets with recycled particle board for flooring. Rebuilt the arc to hopefully make it perform better (shooting for 10 GPH evap rate if possible). So far I have only had a chance to boil about 1/2 the pans contents. The pan holds 12 gallons of sap and the pre-heat pan holds 3 gallons. So far this season I have only collected about 25 gallons of sap, very dismal......

Today it is supposed to be a high of 37 and partly sunny and 5-10 mph winds. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50's, sunny and no wind and next week is in the upper 50's days and just above freezing at night. Maybe this season isn't going to be very spectacular. Haven't had any "runs" as of yet. I think the elevation we are at plays a big part in how the temps affect the trees.

Looking at some of the fellow sappers in the area and I see they are struggling with the same situation even if they aren't at the same elevation (and some are at a higher elevation than I am).

Good luck to everyone out there especially those who are trying to make a living off of it, thankfully I do it for the fun of it (maybe I should have my head checked???)

Doug
:)

sjdoyon
03-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Doug,

We're up north on the border and had a few good days this week. Had over 4,000 gallons for Wed/Thurs/Fri. Not running today, in the 20s and snowing. Season usually starts the first/second week of March so we're not too nervous up here in the mountains. The posts from the south and Ontario is pretty disappointing. Has me a little nervous since we need to make a few hundred gallons to break even on the investment. Have two barrels done so not a bad start. A fellow sugarmaker at the same elevation only had runs in April last year so hopefully this year won't disappoint.

Backyard Sapper66
03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
SJ- I hope the season is at least as half as good as last year. Maybe the sap goddess will shine down on you.
good luck this season and keep at it....
Doug
:)

Backyard Sapper66
03-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Nothing like feeling guilty as hell for pulling the plug so early. Nothing was happening up here since last weekend. Seeing the 70-80good degree forecast with nothing below 40 just mads me feel it was time to throw inthe towel. Only made a little over 2 gallons of syrup from the 93 gallons of sap I collected. Sugar content was averaging about 1.8%. Had 90 taps out so I only averaged 1 gallon per tap. Hopefully next year will be better.