PDA

View Full Version : Goodriches vacuum pumps

philkasza
03-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Has anyone had experience with the OSR vacuum pumps from Goodrich maple farm.

maplwrks
03-10-2012, 05:43 AM
I have 2 of them---what do you need for info on them?

philkasza
03-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Do them osr vac pumps pull high vac like 28 in. ? What model of pumps to you have maplwrks and how many taps do you have on them?

philkasza
03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Has anyone had experience with the OSR vacuum pumps from Goodrich maple farm.

We bought a 20a vac pump, oil cooled, with a honda GX 200 engine on it this past Feb. This pump has been the biggest piece of TRASH we have ever owned, almost every single component on this machine has been replaced or repaired AT OUR EXPENCE EVEN THOUGH WE ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE A 1 YEAR WARRANTY. So my advice is to never ever ever ever buy a pump from Goodriches unless you have a person full time fixing things and about 2 or 3 thousand dollars for parts. Totally Crazy. So needless to say we are not having this pump in the woods next year, does anyone know of other pumps that does not cause soooooooo much grief?

Sam

Jeff E
03-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I have a SIHI oil cooled vane pump, that pulls 25". It has the reclaimer tower and fan cooled radiator. We installed it 4 years ago, have done ZERO work on it. Changed the vacuum oil after year one, just to get the break in oil and gunk out of it. No kidding, the last 3 seasons I simply go turn it on and away we go. No issues. It has been running non-stop since Saturday, and I give it very little attention. Basically walk by and look at the vac gauge and oil level and keep moving.
On my photobucket link, if you go to the albums tap, then the sugarhouse album, you will see the pump. The radiator is now located outside on the north side of the sugarhouse.

SandMan
03-31-2012, 06:41 AM
The Goodrich OSR vacuum pump looks like an Atlantic fluid ring pump...is it the same?

wiam
03-31-2012, 07:40 AM
The Goodrich OSR vacuum pump looks like an Atlantic fluid ring pump...is it the same?

I believe so.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
The Goodrich OSR vacuum pump looks like an Atlantic fluid ring pump...is it the same?Yes it is- we have one.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-31-2012, 07:58 AM
We bought a 20a vac pump, oil cooled, with a honda GX 200 engine on it this past Feb. This pump has been the biggest piece of TRASH we have ever owned, almost every single component on this machine has been replaced or repaired AT OUR EXPENCE EVEN THOUGH WE ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE A 1 YEAR WARRANTY. So my advice is to never ever ever ever buy a pump from Goodriches unless you have a person full time fixing things and about 2 or 3 thousand dollars for parts. Totally Crazy. So needless to say we are not having this pump in the woods next year, does anyone know of other pumps that does not cause soooooooo much grief?

SamSam we have same thing, except gas motor is GX 160-this runs 2400 taps. Have had it for 5 years and we have had trouble with it- to say the least. I know this setup inside and out because I have worked on it numerous times over the 5 year period we have owned it. Poor design- many problems with clutch and belt; it has had 10 different clutches on it and about twice as many belts. Motor is mounted too close to pump on ours, so there is no tolerance in belt-only about 6 inches between the two. On 24 hr. run days can't sleep at night worrying about what is happening with pump. Has been nothing but a headache and I would never buy another one of these pumps. To make matters worse, there is NO service after the sale. They won't even call back with answers to your questions.

lew
03-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Are you guys having problems with the pumps or the motors and clutches? If the OSr is the same as an Atlantic Fluidics, then I have had zero problems with an ELECTRIC AF 20. Rock solid. Actually had the coolant line break off and the unit ran with no coolant for who knows how long and it never skipped a beat. HAve had it for 4 seasons now. Just plug and play.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Are you guys having problems with the pumps or the motors and clutches? If the OSr is the same as an Atlantic Fluidics, then I have had zero problems with an ELECTRIC AF 20. Rock solid. Actually had the coolant line break off and the unit ran with no coolant for who knows how long and it never skipped a beat. HAve had it for 4 seasons now. Just plug and play. Lew, I should probably re-phrase post #9. I don't have any complaints with the vac. pump itself, except recovery time and leak forgiveness is on the low end, compared to the other pumps we are running. Have had no maintenance issues with pump itself. The problem is with the design of the pump and the way it is driven with the gas motor. probably yours being electric it is direct driven without belts and pulleys which would work much better. All our problems have been with the motor, belts, and clutch.

lew
04-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Wallings, Good. Well at lest for me. I was getting concerned I might own a piece of junk. I do agree that the pump itself is not forgiving on leaks. I do not have any good experience with any other types of pumps to compare it to though. That A 20 is able to keep 3050 taps at 24" at releaser and 22" at farthest end of woods. At end of season I was finally able to diagnose a leak at the releaser that has plagued me for 3 years. So maybe I can get it even higher for next year.

wdchuck
04-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I can probably back up everything thats been said here- mine's electric.
The pump itself is bulletproof, although not really high cfm's so it isnt so forgiving on leaks.
The gas motor powered versions do have all the problems mentioned here.
I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

jason grossman
04-01-2012, 08:10 PM
one of my customers purchased this pump( on his own) also, and it single handedly ruined the production in that woodlot this year!! it has not run more that two hours at a time with out exploding. he has managed to keep it going with many many trips to parts stores. he was also left without warranty coverage. it has shook apart so many times that all original gauges and accessories no longer work. watch out for these gas pumps unless you don't mind working on a broken pump during the best runs of the season!

maplwrks
04-02-2012, 07:20 AM
The gas powered OSR pumps are built by Glen and his son-in-law. I haven't heard anything good about them. There is nothing wrong with the pump, or the motor, just the design. If you need a gas powered pump, I would buy the pump head and motor and get someone in your area to couple them for you. I think you might have less headaches in the long run.

putzy
04-04-2012, 07:33 AM
I purchased one of these Goodrich vac pumps in the early spring. That is a piece of junk worked on it everyday from the first to the last most days several times. There was no piece that didn't break apart on the vac or the cooler. Spent about a thousand dollars tanking broken parts to a local machinist to weld amd put back together. After the second day called the guy i bought it from and he called they told him that if we had worked on it that warrenty was going to be void. Whats a guy to do when the sap starts running the forcast is in the 70's for two weeks and new vac pump wont run more than two hours. I wish i knew that Goodrich assembeld these pumps I seen how he does tubing and the pump is a perfect match to his gooble job work. Anyone looking to buy one of these don't unless you like fixing that thing daily and watching your other pumps getting 20 galllons per tap and this pump getting 5 gallons per tap. No joke there junk.

Greenwich Maple Man
04-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Has anybody talked to Glenn Goorich about this massive problem? He has from what I've heard a rather good reputaion in the industrie. Gas powering a pump does seem to cause alot of problems. I'm working on going to all electric this coming season. Was just curios to see if he was attempting to stand behind any of his products.

Butcher
04-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Indiana vacuum seems to make an excellent product ,bought a propane powered unit from them this year and it performed flawlessly pulled 27"all season no problems,other than the trees would not produce

philkasza
04-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Yea I agree with Wallings and Putzy. People talk about have pump just purring away in their woods and they are barely noticed because they run so good~~~~not the case with ours though. The pump head from goodriches is made by Tuthill which I believe is a division of Alantic Fluids. I agree that the design of the gas powered pumps have a lot of issues. I have lived on a farm all my life and to this day I don't think U-Joints on a PTO shaft are made to run at 3500 rpms where the pump is rated for. Nor are the bearings holding the shaft.

Here is our plan for pump next year:
1. have a tractor ~ solves the problem with clutches
2. have a simple belt/pulley system to get to the speed we need for the pump with the tractor idling
3. get 3 times the size of pump that is rated for the number of taps
4. pull 30+ inches and start boiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. don't fix the pump one time in the hole year

Just brain storming, we want something that we can rely on. Has any one ever used a tractor before and how does that work?

Sam

Greenwich Maple Man
04-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Indiana vacuum seems to make an excellent product ,bought a propane powered unit from them this year and it performed flawlessly pulled 27"all season no problems,other than the trees would not produce

Hold hard there butcher ! This caught my eye. Propane powered. How did that work for you ? Was the cost of running high? How long would say a grill bottle(25lbs I think) last? This could solve some real prolems for me. Was it a costly pump?

putzy
04-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Yes my dealer in got the pump from contacted the dealer he got it from and they talked to Glen and he told them that if we did any work to it the warranty would be void.

10'000 on vac
2 vain vac
1 electric oil ring
1 gas piece of junk

putzy
04-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Philskasza I totaly agree with you. The u-joint aren't made to run that fast I also been in farming my whole life, you and I know what would happen to a dealer who's equipment didn't work every milking time.

DrTimPerkins
04-05-2012, 08:52 AM
4. pull 30+ inches and start boiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Sam,

Just remember to obey the laws of physics when you pull that 30+ inches Hg. ;)

Jeff E
04-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I think with a 35 hp tractor, with the right combination of pulleys, wheels, and tensioners, physics no longer applies.

PerryW
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi Sam,

Just remember to obey the laws of physics when you pull that 30+ inches Hg. ;)

Physics does allow for vacuum levels up to 60 inches, but you must use a pump made from antimatter.

Butcher
04-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey greenwich, I hooked up a 500gal tank to it so I never half to refill it during the season , it really worked great cost around 5400 and is water cooled liquid dead heads at 29"

Butcher
04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
When they filled my tank it was at 80% at the end it was at about 35% bt had I ran a normal season im sure I would have used it all .i am also running a 75 cfm pump with a 20 hsp engine.i dont think a 20#cylinder would work well,this runs on liquid not vapor unless u had forklift tank,but u would have to change it out often like u would have to fill a gas tank all the time. Which I avoided and glad I did.i probably used 225 gallons@2bucks a gallon.

Greenwich Maple Man
04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
When they filled my tank it was at 80% at the end it was at about 35% bt had I ran a normal season im sure I would have used it all .i am also running a 75 cfm pump with a 20 hsp engine.i dont think a 20#cylinder would work well,this runs on liquid not vapor unless u had forklift tank,but u would have to change it out often like u would have to fill a gas tank all the time. Which I avoided and glad I did.i probably used 225 gallons@2bucks a gallon.

Did you run the pump 24 seven the whole season or shut down when it froze. Who did you get the pump through? How many taps did you have on it? Appreciate all the info.

Greenwich Maple Man
04-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Does anybody know of a Indian Pump dealer in the Northeast - New Eangland area that sells this pump that Butcher is talking about ?

Butcher
04-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I trried to shut it down when it froze but that wasnt very often.indiana vacuum is in greencastle indiana the guy who builds them name is art harris and his wife ,they are very nice to deal with,he actually built the propane at my request which I think was his first.dont think u would have to worry about it rattling apart it quite heavy duty.i cid have about 2500taps on it with about 750 to still put on it.so 3250taps all on about 16 acres,u cant swing a cat without hitting a maple.

sapman
04-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Does anybody know of a Indian Pump dealer in the Northeast - New Eangland area that sells this pump that Butcher is talking about ?

Art told me last year that someone near Cortland, NY was going to start carrying his stuff. Give Art a call. The 60 cfm gas powered pump I got from him worked very well. Has a big heavy duty coupling mating the engine and pump. Much better than a typical Lovejoy I've used before. Maxed out right about 29".

gmcooper
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a 35 cfm unit from Indiana Vacuum I have been using 4 years with not one issue. I bought it direct from Art. Will buy my next one direct from him as well.
Mark

Greenwich Maple Man
04-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I have a 35 cfm unit from Indiana Vacuum I have been using 4 years with not one issue. I bought it direct from Art. Will buy my next one direct from him as well.
Mark

Anybody have a number for Art?

tuckermtn
04-07-2012, 08:10 AM
http://www.harrissugarbush.com/vacuum.htm

philkasza
04-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Art told me last year that someone near Cortland, NY was going to start carrying his stuff. Give Art a call. The 60 cfm gas powered pump I got from him worked very well. Has a big heavy duty coupling mating the engine and pump. Much better than a typical Lovejoy I've used before. Maxed out right about 29".

Sapman how many taps do you have on the 60 cfm pump. How sensitive is it to leaks. thanks we have a 1800 tap woods would it work for us? Sam

Mark-NH
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
With the issues of linking a gas motor to the vacuum pump, why not use an electric motor and power it with a generator? Takes the vibration issue out of the equation. What am I not considering?

PerryW
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm guessing you would use more fuel with a generator/motor combo.

With a generator/motor combination; you are taking the mechanical energy, converting it to electricity, then back to mechanical energy to run the pump.

mapleack
04-12-2012, 08:04 AM
It'd be pricey, but if you had a 3 phase generator, gas motor with an on demand throttle and a pump with a VFD and vacuum transducer, the gas engine generator wouldn't have to run WOT all the time. Gas savings over time MIGHT cover the cost. Dunno.