PDA

View Full Version : Another blower question

Forrest hunters
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
So a couple days ago I went and bought a 70 cfm bathroom vent fan for $20, 3" flexible pipe and an elbow and plumbed it into the vent/ash door of my half pint. Havent tried it out yet, but happened to be back at Menards today to pick up another clamp and found inline booster vent fans for $20.00 on sale with 250cfm in them. 250 seems to be the boosted cfm where the regular is 160cfm. I think being the fire will have a natural draft it will be up around the 200-250cfm. Thoughts? I bought the reducers down to 3" from the 6" that the fan is as that is already plumbed and am thinking about trying this. Nice thing about it is it will still give draft without it being on. Below is a link to the one Home Depot has which I believe matches pretty close to the one I bought.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials/heating-venting-cooling/inductor/6-in-inline-duct-booster-fan-62750.html

Thoughts? 70 or 250? Too much or just right?

sbingham
03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Forrest Hunters - Give it a try, if it doesn't work - you won't be out much.
I would think that you would want some sort of adjustable baffle over the inlet to regulate how much air is coming in.
My 2x6 WF Mason has a blower installed, had to make a baffle for the inlet side of it, otherwise it was a fire breathing dragon.
I plan to wire in a box and switch so the blower can be shut off while loading the fire box. I have a collection of sweatshirts, vest and caps with multiple burn holes in them from last year.
Good Luck!