PDA

View Full Version : my homemade evap

guitarsage1
03-09-2012, 06:12 AM
here's my homemade evaporator. tell me what you think pros cons. its not completly done gonna get some metal bent for the front to trap more heat.

Agent914
03-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Cool, looks expensive maybe you should patent it...:)

Happy boiling

guitarsage1
03-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Cool, looks expensive maybe you should patent it...:)

Happy boiling
actually the sink and grill came from the same house that was throwing out junk. I had to buy a good stainless drain and parts 4 $60 and then bought a new grill burner 4 $30 the 1 propane tank came with the grill completely full. the other tank is from my grill which runs a turkey fryer burner. so for $90 + gas isn't that expensive. boiled last night and brought in to finish but had stuff to do and left my wife in charge of the finishing, big mistake I came back to a plate of taffy/molasses she burnt it :(

TessHayden06
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Overall it will work ok. I would get ready to keep plenty of propane handy if you are planning on doing the entire process on this. I have a similar setup as a finisher. It will take a long time to boild down large amounts of sap and cost you a fortune per gallon of syrup. I recommend wood burning units, finding free pine is easy.

Good luck, I started with a barrel stove that I made and got easily hooked and fabbed out a homemade 2x4 unit that's kickass.

Agent914
03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey have fun with this hobby...I started with a pot on my house stove and steammy windows and then built a wood burning barrel stove and just design a new barrel stove, but I am already planning some new improvements for next year. All said this hobby cost me about $100 not including my hours.

Old & new stove images attached

So have fun and make improvements when you can.

guitarsage1
03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey have fun with this hobby...I started with a pot on my house stove and steammy windows and then built a wood burning barrel stove and just design a new barrel stove, but I am already planning some new improvements for next year. All said this hobby cost me about $100 not including my hours.

Old & new stove images attached

So have fun and make improvements when you can.

yea I don't plan on finishing in this but it actually boils pretty quick sinse the turkey fry burners is less then an 1" away. most likely this will be used as a preheater cause I'm helping out redmaple this year. and yes im hooked

guitarsage1
03-11-2012, 05:48 AM
my evap boils at a rate of 8 gallons in 3 hours:)

dustinanderson
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I love the propane grill... makes me mad I scrapped 4 old grills last summer!

guitarsage1
03-13-2012, 04:58 AM
I love the propane grill... makes me mad I scrapped 4 old grills last summer!it works great but wouldn't without the extra turkey burner. the gas grill burners just don't put out enough. but with that turkey burner an inch away I can get 3 inches to rapid boil in 10 to 20 min.