PDA

View Full Version : Turkey fryer recommendation for finishing

Lindsey Simanskas
03-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Wonder if any one is using one of these from Bass pro? Or have a good recommendation for finishing off 1-2 gallons of near in the sugar house.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shopsreg;-Cast-Iron-Fish-Fryer/product/10215772/59933?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

buschbees
03-09-2012, 06:42 AM
I use the same set up but with a taller pot, it has worked great for me and it's cheap.

happy thoughts
03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Wonder if any one is using one of these from Bass pro? Or have a good recommendation for finishing off 1-2 gallons of near in the sugar house.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shopsreg;-Cast-Iron-Fish-Fryer/product/10215772/59933?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

I'd replace the pot if only because the cast iron might give the syrup an iron taste, though iron kettle cooking is a time honored tradition. Also that pot's not deep enough as buschbees said.

Cake O' Maple
03-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I think it depends on if you'll use it for anything else, and what that may be.

I started using jet burners this year, and love 'em for how fast things get boiling. On a single jet-burner (King Kooker, 110,000 BTU's) and double jet-burner (Bayou Classic, 220,000 BTU's) side by side enclosed by firebrick, I can get 12 gallons boiling in 25-30 mins on the double jet and another 12 gallons in another pan in 5 more mins on the single-jet (I'm sure the double-jet heat helps the single-jet heat it's pan).

They're both intended for boiling. As a matter of fact, the King Kooker specifically says not to fry turkeys on it, it's too hot.

I find the Bayou Classic (double-jet) more difficult to control the flame at lower levels, and for finishing, the single-jet burner is much better.

I got them both through Amazon, but found them online elsewhere as well.

Regardless, I'd also go for an open, flat pan, not a deeper pot, so there's more surface area.

Asthepotthickens
03-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Great idea I did it all last year, but I bought a stainless pot for $35.00 it holds about 12 quarts works very well. Used it today to finish up and I have to say it;s better that finishing in my 48 by 24 pan. Did no want to use aluminum

SevenCreeksSap
03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I cant seem to get a good finish yet on our 2x8 (need more practice) so finish on just this setup. we use a 12 x 20 in x 4 in. deep stainless lasagna pan. works pretty good but I'm trying to get closer to syrup on the big pans. if you dont boil most of the water off there this setup takes a long time to finish. seems easier to control the boil because you can somewhat adjust the heat with the gas, but at best I get about 1 gal/hr boiling sap. I'm on my third gas bottle for the year because not quite getting close enough to syrup. The flat pan only boils in the middle so I cover the ends of the top with foil to keep the heat, and put up walls to keep the breeze off- finishing outside.