PDA

View Full Version : How to quite a motor

Greenwich Maple Man
03-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Was pumping a load of sap onto the truck tonight and the girl across the road(atleast 300 yards from the tank) says my vacuum pump is keeping her up at night. It is actualy the gas motor running it. It is not that loud and I doubt she can hear it however I need to keep the peace. Any thoughts as to how to muffle the motor? It is a Briggs and Stratton motor.

Bucket Head
03-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe you could build a doghouse-like enclosure around it. Use some styrofoam insulation on it- not for insulating purposes but as a sound barrier. You might be able to build a three sided enclosure, leaving the side that faces away from the womans house open so the engine and pump run cool. It might take a little "backyard engineering", but try running the exhaust into an automotive muffler or a tractor muffler -a larger capacity muffler that would also have more sound absorbing qualities. Hopefully you can get her to quiet down. The neighbor that is....lol.

03-09-2012, 05:30 AM
A coffee can over the muffler works good an its cheap

John c
03-09-2012, 06:49 AM
After realizing you might need a portable solution I am thinking that an old ATV muffler should quiet it down to a tolerable level for the girl.

KZecher
03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
we had the same issue down the road from us.. a 700 tap wood with a small portable vacuum with the GX160 honda motor and last year the nextdoor neighbor flipped out and told us he wanted it shut off so this year we put hay bails around the unit about 1 foot away.. i have not noticed anything getting hot from the exhaust on the motor or the cooling tower.. we have noticed a big different in noise. from the road way its about 25 ft and you need to shut the car off to here if it is running.. the peoples house on the other hand is about 100 yards and he says he cant here it.. best of luck to ya

Richard Gress
03-09-2012, 08:27 AM
C'mon this is easy. Put two and two together. Ladies & sweets. A quart of syrup, a smile and a wink of the eye works every time!

markct
03-10-2012, 01:55 PM
an automotive or atv mufler connected with some flew pipe will do wonders to a small engine exhaust noise, also as others said a 3 sided enclosure helps as well