PDA

View Full Version : Unfiltered maple syrup for sale

MustardSeedMum
03-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I was trolling kijiji (similar to craigslist) and noticed a few different ads selling unfiltered maple syrup.

The spin on the advantages of unfiltered is very interesting.

Paraphrasing a few quotes from the ads:
"most maple syrup is filtered several times. Each time it is filtered, vitamins and minerals naturally found in maple sap is taken out. Unfiltered syrup tastes great and is good for you..." $40/L unfiltered, $30/L filtered (1 litre = 1 quart)

From another ad:
"Unfiltered maple syrup is hard to find, since most producers filter all their product. It contains all of the anti-oxidants and nutrients that filtered maple syrup may not contain." $58/Litre

Does this mean they're skipping the filtering process altogether - leaving debris and nitre in the syrup??? So less work, less mess AND more money?
Is this even legal? by the way, these ads are in Ontario, Canada.

Any comments?

DonMcJr
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Wow...so health nuts will pay more for unfiltered syrup.. interesting.

You never know there may be a market out there for it...

DonMcJr
03-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Just found this from this PA website... http://www.oldstatefarms.com/plasticjugs.html

Unfiltered Grade B

to learn more about unfiltered maple syrup please read our brief article below

Gallon Jug $59.00
1/2 Gallon Jug $32.00

What is unfiltered maple syrup?

Maple Sap is tree's the primary source for nutrients. When the tree's root system begins pumping sap up the trunk to feed the tree in early spring it brings with it many nutrients and minerals (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese & Selenium). We collect the sap and boil off water until the syrup reaches the proper density (66.7brix). During the boiling process only the water evaporates. Not only does the sugar concentration increase, so does the mineral concentration. These minerals begin to collect to one another and form small granules (know to syrup makers as "sugar sand" or niter). This "sugar sand", given this name because of its light blond color and slightly gritty texture, is then filtered out of the maple syrup. Unless you have asked for it specifically from a producer, any syrup you will find will be the filtered variety and look very clear.

In a nutshell unfiltered syrup is pure maple syrup with all the minerals and nutrients that were present when the sap was collected from the tree. It tastes the same and looks the same but will have a cloudy rather than clear appearance.

Why are we offering unfiltered maple syrup?

We have been selling unfiltered maple syrup to a handful of customers who requested it for the past few years and thought: Why shouldn't we offer this to the rest of our customers?

Why do producers filter maple syrup?

Because sugar sand gives maple syrup a cloudy appearance and can have a slight texture.

Is unfiltered maple syrup safe to eat?

Of course. All you are getting in unfiltered maple syrup is more of the same minerals and d nutrients that filtered pure maple syrup contains.

This Vermont site http://www.vermontpuremaplesyrup.com/

says: " Coming soon we'll have our latest Specialty in stock, Maple In The Raw! "

DonMcJr
03-09-2012, 03:48 AM
And yet another market for raw syrup... http://www.livestrong.com/article/441764-what-to-eat-with-the-master-cleanser-diet/

Vermont Creation Hardwood
03-09-2012, 05:20 AM
First, sugar sand settles out rather quickly. I and other producers have used this method to filter syrup withou filtering. Second it tastes yucky. The mouth feel is awful. But then again there are those who feel that unless it tastes yucky it's not good for you. :lol:

happy thoughts
03-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Well I'll be darned. Now that's good marketing! Sheesh

I wonder how they're grading that stuff? Wouldn't seem to fit class A or B for clarity. Also wondering if they are certifying lead free as the sand is where the lead will be most concentrated if the sap or syrup met lead somewhere along the line.

DonMcJr
03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey Folks... I just wanted to let you know that after Tonight's Boil here I will have a Gallon of "Maple Syrup Grits" for the Special Price of $75.00... It's Pure, Organic Maple Syrup unfiltered to keep all of Nature's Nutruients just for YOU!

Please let me know if I have a Buyer because I need to know if I am gonna be working at it longer! :cool:

RileySugarbush
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
First, sugar sand settles out rather quickly. I and other producers have used this method to filter syrup withou filtering. Second it tastes yucky. The mouth feel is awful. But then again there are those who feel that unless it tastes yucky it's not good for you. :lol:

New labeling idea .... " shake well!"

wiam
03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I think I am going to start labeling my syrup "pulp free".

sapbrush
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Grits what is that lol the stuff we will filter out, nasty stuff never heard of anyone keeping it, i got tons of it so let me know if you find anyone buying that stuff, good luck j im

ennismaple
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Geez... I didn't realize that all the work to filter syrup and get rid of the impuriities makes it inferior. How the sparkling clear light syrup I made last night is worth less than that cloudy syrup I'll never know! If people saw the sludge that gets filtered out they wouldn't buy unfiltered syrup, let alone pay more for it!

CBOYER
03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Hey, it is illegal in Canada to sale unfiltered maple syrup and call it maple syrup... any maple syrup non filtered wil lbe underclassed and if not filtered, will be consider as an animal food product.

CBOYER
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Heres the link to this:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Pure-unfiltered-organic-maple-syrup-W0QQAdIdZ361092153

Any of you in Ontario could refer this to Omafra?
as you can see, no address and no tel. number....:mad:

MustardSeedMum
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Here's the other one.
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-health-special-needs-Maple-Syrup-Pure-Unfiltered-and-Hard-to-Find-W0QQAdIdZ360399678

wcproctor
03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
What a GREAT idea. Im in.

oneoldsap
03-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Wow , somebody is shoveling a lot of male bovine byproduct !!!! Those yuppies will buy anything if you tell them it's good for them , especially if it tastes like crap ! Go figure . Heck , I'm still trying to figure out how Syrup labeled organic , is more organic than Syrup that is made by removing the water from it , with nothing added . Anybody ?

DonMcJr
03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
It's Pure Maple Syrup, or "Organic" either way...

It's just the Health nuts think if you don't filter it you get more of Nature's Nutrients... I guess...

I was being funny with the "Maple Syrup Grits"... I'm boiling right now and I am filtering it all!

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Heck , I'm still trying to figure out how Syrup labeled organic , is more organic than Syrup that is made by removing the water from it , with nothing added . Anybody ?

I asked the same a few days ago. No one answered so I did a little research. Apparently in most places you just pay your money ($$$), undergo inspection, and submit a water test. The USDA has no guidelines specific to organic maple so anyone certified organic can sell their syrup as certified. VT is the only state I could find with actual guidelines specific to maple. Those look like something the USDA should adopt. Vt is very specific about bush management, type, depth and number of taps/tree and their placement all geared toward biodiversity and sustainability, and a whole lot more. The tapping guidelines alone are worth looking at imho.

http://nofavt.org/sites/default/files/Maple%20Guidelines%20Final_0.pdf

FWIW there's a paper at the cornell maple program web site that puts organic into perspective. It may not pay off in local markets but when selling outside production areas it can pay off.

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/pubs/OrganicMapleMarketing.pdf

Still, selling unfiltered syrup is crazy, at jacked up prices to boot that are even above what filtered organic goes for. Got to admire the mind that came up with that. I still can't see how unfiltered syrup could be graded, and in at least my state syrup for sale must be graded. I'd think a state's dept. of weights and measures might want to look into this as well unless the unfiltered stuff is sold by weight and not volume.

MustardSeedMum
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Don't worry Don. We know you're just joking. :)

Whoever thought of this idea is genius, I must say.

I think that the urban yuppies are so caught up in this healthy living / everything organic business that
the marketing guru's are having a field day with them.

Anyway, bottom line for those guys who are selling it in Canada - they're doing it illegally.
Don't know about you folks down in the States - as Don has found, there are a few websites advertising this
special syrup. Is it legal to sell this as Grade B stuff??

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Don't know about you folks down in the States - as Don has found, there are a few websites advertising this
special syrup. Is it legal to sell this as Grade B stuff??

I'm not sure, I think it would depend on the particular state it's being sold in and if grading is mandatory by law. Grading is mandatory in my state. Per our federal law, grading isn't mandatory but voluntary, but that said, Grade B is defined as fairly clear, so I guess it depends on how you define fairly. And per my state regs sugar crystals aren't allowed nor can the syrup be "damaged". So if they aren't allowing sugar crystals I can't see how they'd allow niter. I would also consider syrup with heavy niter damaged.

Mapler Jim
03-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm brand new at this and have a few thoughts on this. It seems that the industry is trying to make the Maple syrup look like the ,Yuck, store bought artificial kind. I would think that 50 or 100 years ago they didn't get it this clear. If the nider is minerals and sugar then what would be wrong with it being "cloudy" when in essence it is really better for you. Obviously a first filtering to get rid of organic matter is needed.

happy thoughts
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
what would be wrong with it being "cloudy" when in essence it is really better for you.

You can't assume that it's better for you. Heavy metals such as lead, arsenic, mercury etc. if present, will be most concentrated in the niter and is an important reason for filtering. At least that is my understanding.

vtmapleman
03-10-2012, 05:49 PM
So folks want to buy unfiltered syrup - I say go for it. Personally I won't 'eat' unfiltered syrup. I wonder if these folks who are selling unfiltered syrup have really looked at what is also filtered out other than sugar sand. ie. fly's, mosquitoes, etc.....all those little creatures that come out in the spring and are attached to the sugar houses.

wnybassman
03-10-2012, 05:54 PM
So folks want to buy unfiltered syrup - I say go for it. Personally I won't 'eat' unfiltered syrup. I wonder if these folks who are selling unfiltered syrup have really looked at what is also filtered out other than sugar sand. ie. fly's, mosquitoes, etc.....all those little creatures that come out in the spring and are attached to the sugar houses.

Makes me think of freshly pressed cider. Try not to think of what's in there. lol

CBOYER
03-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm brand new at this and have a few thoughts on this. It seems that the industry is trying to make the Maple syrup look like the ,Yuck, store bought artificial kind. I would think that 50 or 100 years ago they didn't get it this clear. If the nider is minerals and sugar then what would be wrong with it being "cloudy" when in essence it is really better for you. Obviously a first filtering to get rid of organic matter is needed.

Even 150 years ago they filter syrup with wool filter, indians, dont filter, but let the syrup settle down, and keep clear syrup.

MustardSeedMum
03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
So folks want to buy unfiltered syrup - I say go for it.

I agree. That's their choice.

Perhaps we should all look into bottling niter and selling it as a health food. I'm guessing that since it's recommended it "cleansing" diets, the niter
works like a laxative.

We should all sell it as "pure, organic, nothing added, 100% natural" metamucil.:lol:

DonMcJr
03-12-2012, 01:47 AM
After seeing the "Mud Slide" Niter in my batch last night as I filtered I don't think I'd eat it unfiltered...

If I sold it unfiltered I would put "...this is Pure Maple Syrup UNFILTERED and buyer accepts the fact that they like muddy, nasty tasting crud in their "Pure" Maple Syrup. Sold as is and Seller/Producer is not responsible for any dis-satisfied customers because we filter syrup for a reason...and just like when you swim in the Ocean...Eat at your own risk!"

LOL

CBOYER
03-12-2012, 10:12 AM
even if you sold it unfiltered, you cannot said it PURE maple syrup, cause you get 2 components: Syrup, and niter...so it is a mix..

Clarkfield Farms
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Well, all of this started some time ago and I can tell you the how and the who. Well, at least I can tell you the "who:" I met her many years ago when I was a young(er) man and didn't know any better. I was taken in by her apparent genius; she is, after all, a very famous teacher. MILLIONS of loyal students around the world, in every generation, accept and dilligently study everything she offers as truth and praise her every word. So many of the things that she taught seemed to resonate with my young, naive mind, and I myself was nearly taken in. I shudder when I think how close I came. I can remember back to the day when the alarm went off in my head because some of her teachings were in direct contradiction to certain actual truths I had learned from the hard knocks lessons along the way, from truly great teachers (including my parents). That's the thing: Up until that day, everything she taught was vague, open to intrepretation, "there are no 'absolutes'" kind of teaching... that day, I suppose I was a slow learner in her academy because I hadn't yet become mind-numbed (obedient?) enough to simply swallow the pill without thinking first. That's when I woke up and realized that her name was NOT two words, and it wasn't even a name: "Miss Information" is the most widely followed teacher in the world. She always has been. The problem is that her students that make it through and graduate WANT to believe it. Then they get elected... or worse, are appointed or simply influence those elected officials, all the while never held accountable for the damage they cause... and they try to force US to believe it or at least demand that we suffer under their yoke of ignorance.

As for me, I've spent the rest of my life undoing her works everywhere I can find them....

yeah right, OK, so it's just a little story but you get my point.

OK, I edited the rest of it out. Stuff like the most desperate need of our time being real truth, wisdom, leadership, and men and women with the courage to put it all on the line kind of stuff. Wrong forum, maybe. In the end, people believe exactly what they WANT to believe. So go ahead and charge 'em for it. Fools and their money being soon parted sort of stuff and all....

Prezidint
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
people believe exactly what they WANT to believe. So go ahead and charge 'em for it. Fools and their money being soon parted sort of stuff and all....
No doubt, but without doing some research, it's hard to know.
For example - the first year we did syrup I followed all of the filtering protocols - used a prefilter, went through orlon, and so on. The product was very clear, no sediment, and was darn good.
The next year, we got a funky flavor in some of the syrup, which I attribute to me not properly cleaning the orlon filter prior to use.
So the next year, last year, we decided to simply filter using a pre-filter, rather than the orlon. The result was a syrup that was a bit cloudy and that had sediment in the jar. When it came time to use it, I would just pop open the mason jar and pour off the liquid into a plastic maple syrup jug. 11 month in the jar, and . . .

Result? Tasted great.

This year I tried two different techniques - 1. Filter prior to finish boil on stove using prefilter. 2. Filter after finish boil on stove using prefilter.

Result - 1 was very good and 2 was the best we've ever had. I'm not saying that lack of fine filtering added flavor, although it might have - I'm just saying that not filtering it did not affect the flavor or texture at all in a bad way.

At the end of the day, I'd guess that taste tests and such would show that fine filtering is really just for looks - fact is, they make the a lot of the smaller containers glass specifically so that consumers can ohhh and ahhh at the clear, pure syrup. It would be an eye sore to have sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

For us folks doing 4 to 10 gallons a year for home use, however, there is no compelling reason to finely filter the syrup, that I can see.

As for the nutrient breakdown, I can't imagine there's much argument to it - the more you filter, the more you remove stuff, vitamins or sludge or otherwise.

The question I'd ask anybody who wanted to spend extra money to get "unfiltered" is: "how much friggin syrup do you eat that you're worried about vitamins and minerals?"