PDA

View Full Version : Finished up this evening

hershey
03-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Well, this is the end of my second tapping season...It's been a learning curve all the way.:lol:

I boiled down about 15 gallons of sap (4 taps) on a BBQ grill with propane...that will NOT happen next year...

I'm already searching for plans/pictures of homemade evaporators using wood!

My main question is, when is the best time to filter? When you first collect or at the end just before you bottle???

Thanks...this forum is a great source of information...

wnybassman
03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
My main question is, when is the best time to filter? When you first collect or at the end just before you bottle???

Yes, that is correct

Indiana-Jones
03-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Well, this is the end of my second tapping season...It's been a learning curve all the way.:lol:

I boiled down about 15 gallons of sap (4 taps) on a BBQ grill with propane...that will NOT happen next year...

I'm already searching for plans/pictures of homemade evaporators using wood!

Thanks...this forum is a great source of information...

Hi, Hershey. The way I did it was, heat the syrup to boiling, check to see that it is syrup with a hydrometer. If it checks as syrup, than filter. The trick that I learned is after you filter your syrup don't get it any hotter than 190 degrees or niter will form and make a deposit in your jars. So, filter it and heat your jars up in almost boiling water and than pour in your 180 degree syrup. Put on the lids tight and invert the jars for a few min. so that the hot syrup sterilizes the lids on the inside. Turn them right side up and wait for them to cool. If you are using Mason jars the lid will pop and show that it has sealed.

Good luck, sounds like you are hooked. Wood is much more fun than propane.