PDA

View Full Version : Am I done?

konwinski
03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
My sap is starting to make me think here in southeast Michigan we may be done. It is now a bit cloudy and some has a yellowish tinge and a funny taste. I want to know though, will good sap flow again if we get a good freeze here in the next couple days?

Thanks,
Ken

firetech
03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
konwinski sap does not store well at 60 dg temps boil the sap it will make a dark flavorful syrup. With the 2 freezes coming tonite and tommorrow the sap should get better. But don't make any plans for sap after this weekend. The very large lady is about to sing.

JBIV
03-08-2012, 10:01 PM
But don't make any plans for sap after this weekend. The very large lady is about to sing.

Say it ain't so. The weatherman could be wrong....................But it doesn't look good.

PerryW
03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I would dump out the cloudy, yellowish sap, but you still may get good sap if you have a freeze again.

If you do have a good freeze and the sap starts running, I will sometimes dump out the first few gallons of sap of the run (because it has been sitting in the lines) and take the opportunity to wash out the tanks to keep the grade up.

Stamford sugarmaker
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree with Perry, dump the cloudy-yellowish sap. I have never been inclined to boil it but if someone has first hand knowledge of boiling sap like that I'm all ears- even if it's dark amber and tastes good!

Peter