PDA

View Full Version : Bud question

sams64
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
This is a bud from one of my sugar maples. The bud is still pretty small and not at all shiny. Is it fully budded or do I still have some time left.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/sammy6477/maplebud.jpg

sam

PerryW
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
doesn't look budded to me..... but I really don't understand how people use the sugar maple buds to determine when to stop sugaring anyway. It seems to me that they look exactly the same at the end of the season as they do at the beginning. I do notice a difference about 2 weeks after i pull the taps.

FOr the record, I'm going to gather my first load of sap for the season.

DrTimPerkins
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Looks like those buds are still in a winter condition. Any hint of swelling at all? Seems early for that, even in southern New England.

sams64
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
No signs of swelling. The bud is pretty dry and tight. I hear of people starting to pull taps and do not want to waste my time making funky syrup. I did that last year and was unable to use it.

What signs should I be looking for to know when to call it?

Sam

PerryW
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
When you hear the peepers, it's over.

DrTimPerkins
03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Usually you can smell "buddy" in sap, and you can definitely taste it in the syrup (nasty stuff).

happy thoughts
03-08-2012, 04:18 PM
What signs should I be looking for to know when to call it?

Those buds look pretty dormant to me They will start to swell and get bigger and eventually open as growth begins. I've been lucky so far and have called it quits before that happened. You've already made funky syrup so you should know the smell, which most people describe as like old socks. imho, when you start seeing bud growth signs or are not sure, either boil that sap separate and test before adding it to good syrup or pull the taps.

Peepers are usually a sign of spring but in my neck of the woods any warm long spell will set them singing until it gets cold enough to send them back into hibernation. One year I heard them for a few days in very early march and the sugar season lasted for another month. Your best bet is to observe your trees bud growth.

just in case you get buddy syrup there's a way to improve the flavor by heating/evaporating it way past syrup then diluting it back to syrup. A few people on this forum have done it before with good results. I may be mistaken, but I think it was something Dr. Perkins brought up last year.

Well good luck and hope this season lasts a bit longer for you :)

Asthepotthickens
03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
once again, maybe ask Cheech and Chong :D