PDA

View Full Version : sap hydrometer breaking

royalmaple
03-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Anyone ever unwrap your sap hydrometer only to find it broken?

Not sure why it happened, but the other day I went to test some sap and when I unwrapped the hydrometer it was smashed, just about where the glass flares out into the larger diameter bottom.

It was left in the shack, wrapped in the paper, and back in the box and nothing dropped on it.

brookledge
03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Any chance you had any little helpers around that might have tried to help. Sounds like something a 3-4 year old would do. Especially putting it back like it was before it broke thinking no one would ever notice.
Just a thought
Keith

royalmaple
03-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Could be, or maybe the sap fairy did it?

It was in like I left it, but who knows, guess they don't want to make them too good so we can break them from time to time and keep buying new ones.

:)

John Burton
03-25-2006, 11:01 PM
just be glad you found it , good freind of mine few years back dropped the syrup hydrometer into the cup didnt realize he broke it untill he dumped the cup into the finish section of his 2x4.. talk about depression...

royalmaple
03-26-2006, 08:14 AM
almost happened, but the paper numbers inside looked a bit too clearer than normal.

Then I saw the break. So just before it went into sap. Better to waste a cup of sap than syrup.

davey
03-26-2006, 08:25 AM
What do people use as a hydrometer cup when checking sap? I just got a 12" sap hydrometer from The Maple Guys and can only get a reading in a nearly full five gallon pail. I was thinking of making a really long cup out of pvc or copper pipe, both of which I have a bunch of. Any ideas? I have been pretty amazed at the wide range of readings I get from the various places I gather. I have some approximately 175 year old sugar maples at my in-laws farm that I get a little over 3 on and others where I only get about 1.5.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I was thinking the same thing. You can check it in a bulk tank or in a cup or 5 gallon bucket. I assume it wouldn't matter what you check it in. :?

davey
03-26-2006, 12:38 PM
I was thinking of the pvc/copper cylinder so that I could check individual trees as opposed to larger quantities from several trees. If for no other reason than to know which tree is producing what percentage.

MaineMapleDave
03-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I've just used the regular hydrometer cup in the past--worked fine.

Might be worth getting one of the narrow diameter hydrometer cups for sap?

sweetwoodmaple
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Save your pennies and get a refractometer. Only takes a few drops to check each tree.

royalmaple
03-26-2006, 03:17 PM
I rigged up a container for testing sap that cost about 4 dollars at the hardware store.

Get a pvc tube, you can get the toilet fill tubes already 14 inches I think. I think they are 1 1/4 inch diameter, then buy a rubber cap and hose clamp the rubber cap to the end of the pvc tube and voila. Works great and doesnt cost too much either.

mapleman3
03-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I use a refractometer, it's awesome, Kevin had found them and offered them up at a great price.. Thanks again Kev it's an awesome intrument to have :wink:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-26-2006, 07:17 PM
post edited:

royalmaple
03-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Can you use the refractometer to test syrup too?

how much were / are they?

ibby458
03-27-2006, 04:01 AM
I make all my hydrometer cups out of 1-1/2" SS pipe, cut to length with a base and handle welded on. Really holds the heat well for the syrup hydrometer. I lay it sideways over the syrup pan to steam it clean and keep it up to tempurature. A bit heavy, but totally break or crush proof.

maplehound
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I to like my refractometer for testing sap. You will need a difrent one for testing syrup though since most don't have that big of a range. Also you have to cool the syrup before you cn use it.
Ron