PDA

View Full Version : question on vac pump oil feed

metzger1
03-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a airablo vac system, with a delaval electric vane pump setup with reclaimer and we keep having problems after it's been running for a few hours, especially in warmer temps. I starts to get a louder vane clacking sound, and the oil starts to flow in spurts instead of a steady flow like it does when it's cool. I don't ever recall having this issue in past years, but we did unhook and move everything this past summer to pour concrete under it, but as far as I know, it's all hooked back up the same. I know a lot of people put fans on the pump to keep it cooler, but I don't understand why the oil feeding changes as it get hotter. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

nymapleguy607
03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
What type of oil are you using and how many HGs are you trying to pull? I run my Delaval pump at around 21" and I haven't had issuses. Are you flooding the pump with oil from the reclaimer? If so you might need to adjust the amount of oil thats being let back into the pump. It sounds to me like once the oil heats up and becomes thinner that maybe there is to much being let in and pooling in the bottom of the pump housing and once it builds up enough it gets slapped by a vane. This might cause the sound and the spurts of oil. Just a thought

metzger1
03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
We are using vac pump oil mostly, and at about 20" of vac. I don't know how to adjust the flow of oil. Can you tell me how to do that. Thanks

metzger1
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
And how would I know if I was flooding it? Or how would I know if it wasn't getting enough oil?

nymapleguy607
03-10-2012, 05:08 PM
There might be an oil line from the reclaimer to the pump inlet. there is most likely a filter in that line. There should be something like a needle valve where that oil line from the reclaimer connects.

BAP
03-13-2012, 08:10 AM
A few things I would check. First and this is important, make sure the pump is sitting level, if not the drum will walk off to one side in the housing and wear the end caps. Make sure you are using good quality vacuum pump oil only. Some of the cheaper vacuum pump oils will not handle the longer running and high heat from sugaring use. DeLaval makes a really good oil and it is worth it. The oil will flow a little faster as it warms up. Is there sight glass droppers on the oil lines to the pump? If so they should have adjustable valves in them so you can control the flow of the oil. The slapping sound you hear could be a broken vane. They will break some times or become stuck. Pull off the end cap away from the pulley and you should be able to slide the vane out too you quite easily. If not there is something wrong. These are good pumps but can be a little finicky at times. Hope this helps. BAP