PDA

View Full Version : Watching temperature?

Yana Frank
03-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi all!

I am new to making syrup and am hoping to soon start boiling sap in a large stainless steel pan over a campfire. But a friend of mine mentioned something about not burning the sap and keeping the temperature constant?

Anybody have tips on what to watch out for doing it with this low-key approach?

Thanks so much!

Yana

RileySugarbush
03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
As long as you are adding sap and not near finished syrup, put the heat to it as much as you can. The sap will not get any hotter than the boiling point, which raises slowly as the density increases. You can check the liquid temperature with a cheap digital kitchen thermometer, the kind with the metal probe on a little cable. Until the boiling point gets over 217 or 218, don't worry about it. In a small batch it can finish pretty quick after that so you may want to move to the kitchen then. The ideal temp for syrup is 219, or 7 degrees F over the boiling point of water on that day. It can change a little with atmospheric pressure.

Have fun!

Jeff E
03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
One thing with a campfire approach is the sides of the pan can get heated up and scorch the sap. Most of us contain the heat to the bottom of the pan. This can be done as simply as putting brick or concrete block on the sides and back of the fire, with the pan sitting on top.

RileySugarbush
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
One thing with a campfire approach is the sides of the pan can get heated up and scorch the sap. Most of us contain the heat to the bottom of the pan. This can be done as simply as putting brick or concrete block on the sides and back of the fire, with the pan sitting on top.

True, but it won't hurt your syrup, just make it a little darker and leave a burnt line on your pan. I made great syrup for years with those burnt lines on my hotel pans.