PDA

View Full Version : Is there going to be a season??

tonka
03-07-2012, 09:50 PM
I have been sapping for only a few years. So I was seeing what all your thoughts are for this season, the 7 day forcast only has 1 of the 7 day where its freezing/thawing, is there going to be a season at all this year?

GramaCindy
03-08-2012, 04:32 AM
I'm scared too tonka. I am tapping the remainder of my trees on Saturday, and the long range forecast from 5 different weather sites doesn't look good for nighttime lows at all. I have 12 buckets out there now, and nothing in them but ugly rain water.

Daren
03-08-2012, 04:34 AM
I don't believe much in man made global warming but monitoring the 10 day forecast sure looks like what we make in the next 5 days is going to be it. After Saturday, no cold nights and most of the days from Sunday thru next sat are in the 50's. With as many reds as I have, this may be it and I have not drawn yet! Big boil day tomorrow so going to make what I can.

SDdave
03-08-2012, 07:17 AM
... is there going to be a season at all this year?

Yes. Just not as long as some may hope for. I had my last freezing night last night according to the local 7 day. Highs in the 60's. I can't find my journals from the last few years, BUT last year we (being me) had a week of weather like this and then wammo a cold front came through and "restarted" the trees. Never underestimate MN weather...unless you are in South Dakota!!

SDdave

SilverLeaf
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I can't find my journals from the last few years, BUT last year we (being me) had a week of weather like this and then wammo a cold front came through and "restarted" the trees.

My 2009 log shows the same thing.

My logs only go back to 2008, so they're not that reliable yet, but based upon the patterns I saw there, my gut tells me we're all going to have a pretty decent run over the next 3-4 days (and the kind where it runs a bit even through the night). And then if we would happen to get a freeze by next weekend we'll all wring out another one. But if not, then at least those of us with soft maples are gonna be done for the season. If this second scenario pans out (the more likely one given the forecast), I predict March 18 to be the day that someone posts the first report on here of a silver maple bud opening.....

Balsam Hills
03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I have nothing but red maples which are typically done running well before sugars. If the forecast holds true, it's going to be the shortest season in my ten years of sapping. Oh well, there's always next year. Kinda like the Vikes:mrgreen::lol:

markcasper
03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
2005 was to be the horror year of 100 years, this appears to be the horror year of 1000 I guess.

SilverLeaf
03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I predict March 18 to be the day that someone posts the first report on here of a silver maple bud opening.....

Looks like I was actually too optimistic on this.... Today, March 11, I saw my first buds opening. :o The little flowers weren't all the way out yet but the buds were open with that telltale "fuzzy" look. It was only a couple trees but I'm sure the rest will be soon to follow...

I hope things hold off a few more days for you folks north & east of here!

SilverLeaf
03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I predict March 18 to be the day that someone posts the first report on here of a silver maple bud opening.....

Looks like I was actually too optimistic on this.... Today, March 11, I saw my first buds opening. :o The little flowers weren't all the way out yet but the buds were open with that telltale "fuzzy" look. It was only a couple trees but I'm sure the rest will be soon to follow...

I hope things hold off a few more days for you folks north & east of here!