PDA

View Full Version : Tour my Taps (Video)

DonMcJr
03-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Added 6 more taps today to make 11 incase the season ends quick I can get some last minute sap!

Here's a Video Tour of my Taps...

http://youtu.be/nZUI8otryWg

SPILEDRIVER
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
never seen taps like that befor,where did you come up with that set up?

DonMcJr
03-08-2012, 12:17 AM
I saw something similar on youtube and used my skills to make it way you seen my video... ( I'm a Plumber/pipefitter).

I think I need to drop down one drill size to get a better seal!

Wanted a way to keep the bugs and moths out...this might work!

Rugburn
03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the ride! Syrup and venison, can't go wrong. I'll have to get my daughter to help me make a video tour of my setup here in NY.

happy thoughts
03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Nice video Don. Thanks for the tour.

Those bulb type growths aren't old tap holes. They're called galls and what gives burly wood it's appearance. They can get very large. They're usually caused by some sort of injury, sometimes insects.

You could use taps made for tubing and probably avoid the leaks a little better.

Good luck. How's the evaporator set up going?

happy thoughts
03-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Here's some more on tree galls

http://hardwoodbucking.mtu.edu/hardwood_defects/galls.html

DonMcJr
03-08-2012, 09:39 AM
I'll have to check out the taps made for tubing...

I don't get the evaporator til next Thursday:(

Do you think if I put my sap in a 55 gallon plastic Food Container and put two gallons of Ice in Jugs in it and a lid and keep the ice froze with new ones it will be ok for 12 days? or should I do another LONG LONG Boil on the Turkey Fryer this weekend?

mapleack
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
You'll have to get it boiled, it won't keep that long.

DonMcJr
03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
You'll have to get it boiled, it won't keep that long.

Ok Thanks! That's what I DIDN'T wanna hear...LOL!

It'll be fun though...last boil on da Turkey Fryer! Almost like Turning 21 or something! :lol:

C.Wilcox
03-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Nice video Don. That's how it all starts and the next thing you know you're dropping major $ on new taps, buckets, bag holders, stainless this, stainless that and counting the months until the next season. As a side note, looks to me like your sugar maples are actually silver maples. Seems like you must be operating in a floodplain or a fairly low area based on the green ash, box elder, and silver maple in the video?

DonMcJr
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
My Property isn't in the Floodplain but there is a Creek through my woods...it's small though.

Silver Maples huh? I'll have to look that up...

I know it makes some darn good Syrup cause I am eating french toast with it right now!!!!

Indiana-Jones
03-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Great video, looks like you have a little slice of heaven.

I saw the fire ring, do you have a campfire beer drinking league? We have a fire ring next to our pond and almost every Saturday night we have a group of people standing around drinking, so we thought we would form a team and look for sponsorship. Who knows maybe someday you could host an away game. lol

Good luck on your sugaring, we are done down here. All that is left is to clean up.

DonMcJr
03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes I do have a little slice of Heaven! I still can't believe it!

Bonfires are a regular thing around here too!:cool:

An Away Game...LMAO!:)