PDA

View Full Version : Dry holes

foxtail
03-07-2012, 02:14 PM
This is my first year doing this by myself. The last time I did this at all was 1989 I think.

I never saw a hole that was dry when we drilled the trees then. Now 99% of the holes are dry. Will they run or should I pass them up in favor of holes that run right away?

I tapped around 150 trees yesterday and today and even the ones that were dripping yesterday at sundown are dry now.

Any advice?

happy thoughts
03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Don't know where you're located but if you didn't have much of a freeze last night then they probably won't run well today. When/if conditions are right they'll run again. Not sure what you mean by "pass them up in favor of holes that run right away", but if you're thinking of pulling taps to relocate somewhere else, don't. Give the ones you put in a chance.

Good luck and hope the sap runs well for you.

foxtail
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
I am in Faribault MN, which is 45 min north of IA and 30 min south of the cities.

Thanks for responding. I did not know what to think about 50 or so empty bags this morning. To be honest, I was a little bit ticked off.

GramaCindy
03-07-2012, 02:51 PM
foxtail, not sure if you remember this or not, but you need below freezing temps at night to get the sap to flow in the daytime, and then usually only if it's up above freezing. Funny thing, sap is. Sometimes when you "KNOW" you're going to have a huge run, you check only to be very disappointed. Leave the taps in the trees, it takes longer for some of them to wake up in the spring, depending on many factors, including what exposure they are and snow cover, wind, clouds, pressure, You name it.

sk8heaven
03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Foxtail,

Some of the other producers around the twin cities have not had sap flow yet either... GramaCindy is right on the weather needs, and the trees often seem as though they do not "wake up" with the first warm spell. I put 300 taps in last weekend and have had some 40 degree days but no sap yet. I am a little worried as our forecast for up here has the lows at night staying at or slightly above the freezing mark for a few days.... time will tell. I sure hope the weather doesn't just bypass sappin weather and go right to warm temps. Love that Northern MN weather )

foxtail
03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Disapointment is hard to swallow isn't it?

foxtail
03-08-2012, 05:40 PM
About 100 trees in one side of the property are dry still. Not a drop has come out. Even the few which were wet dried up.
On the other end of the property, a good 95% of the trees are wet and keep dripping.
Do any of you experienced people see anything odd here?

jmp
03-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I have seen differences like this before in our bush. Trees that are in lower lying wetter locations exhibit different flows that same trees of similar DBH, crown size, exposure, etc. Micro-climate. There are so many factors that influence sap flow its difficult to nail it down sometime. Take a look at your two stands. Does one get more sun? Wind? More groundwater? Differrent soils? Hope this provides a little guidance.

foxtail
03-09-2012, 05:53 AM
The soil is much different. The dry trees are in wet farm run off soil which isw about 60 feet higher evevation than the other area and the wet trees are in low, river floodplain, rich and loose soil. The dry area has run off from the field going through now and the wet tree area has a lot less water but is close to the river.

markcasper
03-09-2012, 10:43 PM
You most likely have deeper frost in the ground on the higher ground, less ground cover, weeds, brush, etc. Deep frost and good sap flows will not happen. I am guessing your river bottom ground has a bit more cover, hence less ground frost. One thing I have thought all along is the dry soils in yours and my area. With no snow this winter, the frost was easily able to penetrate, even though it was a mild, so-called winter.

The river bottom trees naturally would be closer to water making the drought possibility less significant. It is early even for your area. I usually never tap open taps until mid march and later regardless. The holes are only good for a few weeks on them and I want the best time slot that is favorable and do not worry if I missed a gallon early on, it will be more than made up if you wait, this is with open taps.

foxtail
03-11-2012, 09:35 PM
The trees went ape yesterday afternoon. In just a few hours they went from"why bother" to "better empty bags". I boiled a batch today and got 9 pints. Sure tastes great.
Today the bags were pretty much empty.