PDA

View Full Version : pulling the taps

CTsugarMan
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Hey all

First year doing this, and i currently have only buckets, when should you pull the taps, and call it a season? im in northern fairfield cnty. border of monroe and shelton....Any suggestions

bunkerchump
03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey.

I'm not far from you in Seymour. My last boil is scheduled tomorrow. Taking the day off from work on what's setting up to be a great day tomorrow. Sap ran well, but with the forecast, I'm thinking this might be it. I'll probably leave the taps in till the weekend, and whatever I get between tomorrow and the weekend, I'll finish off on the turkey fryer along with my concentrate. But, this is my first year too, so not speaking from experience...

Maplesedge
03-08-2012, 03:50 AM
You pull em when you want. When you're tired of boiling. When you've made enough. When the tree buds open and the syrup resembles road tar. When the flow stops. They might still drip a bit but by next year the hole will close up.

CTsugarMan
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
thanks for the insight, sad to say that i think this is the last weekend, there goes my getting out of house work excuse on sundays.. bummer. i have one tree that is still giving 2 gals a day of crystal clear but the others are down to about a 1/2 or less in 24 hrs.. not sure if that is a good rate or not? anyone know?

Starting Small
03-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I would have killed for a half gallon per tap per day this year!