PDA

View Full Version : Season done in Sterling

btflaw
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
As I was collecting sap this morning, I was able to climb stonewall and reach the end branch of a long branch off of a monster sugar maple and could easily see the numerous buds. The buds coupled with the looming temperatures made my decision to end the season and pulled the taps. Good luck to all and gotta get back to my final boil of the season.

Tithis
03-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Things are winding down here as well. The buds on my sugars still look fine to me, but after this week it doesnt look like we'll be getting anymore freezing nights. I'm working on a fairly large boil right now and then I'm just collect over the next few days and see if I get enough for one more.

So how did you fare this season?

btflaw
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I had a below average season, but did ok considering the erratic weather we have had. Probably will have made around 8 to 10 gallons after this final boil which isn't to bad using 2 home made barrel drum evaporators. I think though for some reason I went through more would than other years for some reason, which I attribute to the low sugar content.

btflaw
03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I forgot to ask how are you making out this season?

Tithis
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Alright. I only ended up doing about 15 taps (10 sugar, 1 norway and 4 reds) and right now I have 1.5 gallons and this last boil should bring it over 2. I probably would have gotten more if it wasnt for spoilage. One time I ended up throwing a good amount of sap away because it spoiled, then anouther I boiled anyways and got a little bit of some off tasting syrup that I tossed.

If I hadnt lost those 2 batches I could have reasonably seen between 3-4 gallons and probably sold a little bit to people I know, but as is I'll probably keep most of it besides a few bottles to people who let me tap their trees and some friends.

I certainly learned why old timers didnt tap reds, despite all being fairly large they were on average pretty marginal.

ejmaple
03-07-2012, 06:40 PM
btflaw, you sure those buds poped? i'am pretty close to you our tree's buds are tight.

btflaw
03-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Unfortunately, I am sure as to the tree I was able to closely inspect. How's your season going?

ejmaple
03-08-2012, 06:23 AM
i'am on my way out to check the tanks, but yesterday i was getting 1.65 gpt. it was still running hard at 10pm when i last collected. the sugar was at 1.8%

jmp
03-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Seems like season is close to the end here in Ware. Buds starting to pop on majority of maples where I am. **** :(