PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sap storage barrel

CliftonSap
03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I use plastic, food grade barrels to store sap for cooking. I noticed that there may be mold on the inside of one of the barrels. What does everyone use to clean thier non-stainless steel equipment? I'm concerned bleach would taint the sap.

PerryW
03-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I use bleach. I add a couple glugs of UNSCENTED Chlorox to a couple gallons of warm water (<5%) and scrub out my plastic & stainless. Just rinse well and you will not taint your sap

happy thoughts
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
jmho but I think you should scrub the inside good to remove as much of the mold as you can and any biofilm then rinse with plain water. Then use bleach but use at the recommeded rate for sanitizing plastic for food contact, a 200ppm bleach solution. To make it, add a tablespoon of clorox type laundry bleach for every Gallon of water. It needs some hang time to really sanitize so let it sit for 1-5 minutes. Empty and rinse well.

happy thoughts
03-07-2012, 08:52 AM
If you scrub it first and rinse well, you wouldn't even need that much bleach solution. A couple of gallons would probably easily coat the sides of a large storage tank. Just swish it all around so it makes contact with every surface. Then let it sit a bit before rinsing. You'd be using very little chlorine so there won't be much for the plastic to absorb in such a short time.

sugarwoodacres
03-07-2012, 09:26 PM
vinegar if youre still using . Good results doing this during our short season.

jmp
03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I used to use a weak bleach solution but have been using One Step no rinse cleaner (to clean) followed by Star San (to sanitize). Both are used heavily in the home brewing industry and work great. Star San foams up quite a bit and works great for cleaning our 275 gallon totes. Clean as a whistle, no residue, NO ODOR and NO FLAVOR! Best of all you can reuse throughout the season so you don't waste money on buing more cleaning supplies and/or mixing again. You can find at any local brewing supply or online. Here is one link: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/star-san.html

Good luck!

Zamkev
03-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a couple of brand new food grade barrels - do you think these need to be sanitized? I was going to rinse out with boiling water - but hadn't planned on doing anything else.

Thanks for any insight.

jmp
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I tend to be very picky about sanitation. Personally I would clean them before use. Boiling water may not kill all the critters as it will cool rapidly as you swish it around. Just my two cents :)

ADK_XJ
01-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Resurrecting this thread - I've been using star san this week to finish off anything touching raw sap after I scrub it down with water and multiple rinses. Having used that stuff for brewing I can say it's a huge time saver and have not had a single contamination issue. If there's anything more likely to spoil than maple sap it's a mixture of warm water grain and yeast...

timmie
01-23-2017, 12:31 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Daveg
01-23-2017, 08:42 AM
I use plastic, food grade barrels to store sap for cooking. I noticed that there may be mold on the inside of one of the barrels. What does everyone use to clean thier non-stainless steel equipment? I'm concerned bleach would taint the sap.

16-1 bleach and a scrub pad on a stick to reach through the bungs and then a thorough rinse with a hose sprayer. Bleach ruins RO membranes.

billyinvt
01-23-2017, 03:23 PM
I fill a couple of five gallon buckets with weak bleach solution and warm water. I run it through my transfer pump (to clean that too) and spray out the inside of each container and slosh it around good. Then I rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse with clean warm water.

Ravenseye
01-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Resurrecting this thread - I've been using star san this week to finish off anything touching raw sap after I scrub it down with water and multiple rinses. Having used that stuff for brewing I can say it's a huge time saver and have not had a single contamination issue. If there's anything more likely to spoil than maple sap it's a mixture of warm water grain and yeast...

I use Star San as well. It doesn't take much to mix up a lot of Star San and I use it on all my taps and sap buckets. No need to rinse either so it saves time.

Zucker Lager
01-26-2017, 12:49 PM
I use Star San as well. It doesn't take much to mix up a lot of Star San and I use it on all my taps and sap buckets. No need to rinse either so it saves time.

I've been using Star San's brother PBW (powdered brewery wash) for cleaning then the star san for disinfecting. The PBW cleans well and does remove hard to get out gunk. I cleaned out some buckets using it that had coconut oil in them it took out the oil and the smell in two washes. Jay

Cody
01-26-2017, 02:00 PM
I've been using Star San's brother PBW (powdered brewery wash) for cleaning then the star san for disinfecting. The PBW cleans well and does remove hard to get out gunk. I cleaned out some buckets using it that had coconut oil in them it took out the oil and the smell in two washes. JayPBW also works great in the dishwasher also,we run it through couple times a month,dishwasher and glasses just shine.

lafite
01-28-2017, 02:45 PM
I just changed out my storage barrels to ones with open tops (latched closed during the season). will make it easier to clean after the season. Last year I had 50 gallons of sap in one that froze solid because of a deep freeze here. I wasn't able to use that barrel for the season.