PDA

View Full Version : We might be flirting with the end

maple flats
03-07-2012, 05:00 AM
The next 5 days look good, but then my extended forecast shows no freezing temps for the next 6+ days, lowest in the 35 area. I sure hope it doesn't end this soon. My woods are at higher elevations, that might save me.

northwoods_forestry
03-07-2012, 05:25 AM
I am at 25% of our production goal. If the forecast holds this week I may reach 50% by the end of the weekend. I sure hope that will not be the end.

backyardsugarer
03-07-2012, 06:26 AM
I am afraid it could be the end trees seem tired. Only got 250 gallons last night with 800 trees on vac. 48 this morning and only a trickle.

PerryW
03-07-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm flirting with the beginning here in NH. I'm tapping the last 50 this morning before the warmup hits. Got all the tanks set up and ready for sap. Taking the pans off the blocks and shoveling out the path to the sugarhouse. Probably hang the buckets next week sometime after things get going. I know the season hasn't really started here in the Littleton area (about 2/3 of the way up the state). Other producers that have been tapped for 3 weeks have made little or no syrup.

happy thoughts
03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
I'm also wondering if the end is near. The taps we threw in a couple of days ago are barely producing and temps will be in the upper 50's to 60's with no freezing night temps til the weekend. May be time to start on the garden. We'll see what happens. Whatever that is I think we'll be talking about this year without a winter for a long time. I'm thankful we tapped early. Good luck to you Perry and all of you north of us.

chriscris
03-07-2012, 06:56 AM
I am happy we tapped early as well. It has been below freezing for the last 2 days, but the forecast showing no low temps for a while. Put a few more buckets out on the weekend.
This may be it? :cry:

MaplePancakeMan
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
The end is definitely near, in the last 8 years i've seen it, we've all seen it. When it goes in to the 60's for more then one day, it takes a miracle for it to run again and when it does its poor and low sugar.

Trust me its a hard reality and definitely not what i want as this is the only year i needed to make syrup (for my own wedding favors). i had 45 taps for the first 2.5 weeks in the season, only collected 160-170 gallons zipped another 30 on Friday and collected 110 gallons on sunday which was great but all off of the new taps mostly. After the last 2 days which were really cold and in the 40's only a handful of the trees have a respectful .5-.75/gallon of sap in the buckets. Hoping for the next two days of warmth to give me the last run of the '12 season sadly.

Troutman10
03-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I think it's near the end of our maple syrup days for 2012 as well! I guess the timing really messed up my planning and found myself scurrying around to get ready...

Mogli
03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Hopefully the warm front coming through this weekend (sunday i think) isn't as strong or dips slightly lower cause next week looks horrible but if was about 8 degrees on avg lower, golden

danno
03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I am afraid it could be the end trees seem tired. Only got 250 gallons last night with 800 trees on vac. 48 this morning and only a trickle.

Did ur trees wake up? I was dissapointed yesterday evening/this morning, but trees were still thawing from our 3 days below freezing and nightime temps in the teens. My mainline goes through a real cold section of woods and takes a while to thaw as well. Anyway, as I was leaving for work at 8:45 she was running good.

That said, the forecast sux!

Haze
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
By the looks of the 15 day extended forecast I think we'll be pulling the taps this Saturday. The next day or two hopefully we'll get some kind of a run. This morning I checked some of the buckets and not a drop in them since this past Sunday.

Mogli
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
ya saturday to sunday looks to be the end for the glen/ithaca area. Dunno my g/f place is up on a hill so may at most squeak another day but sadly doubtful. the forecast keeps getting worse instead of better

SPILEDRIVER
03-07-2012, 02:25 PM
im hopeing its not the end but im fearing it as well, but on a good note its flowing like mad rite now and hopefully the next 24 hrs as well.looks like another good shot fri/sat nights then im on a prayor but i got tapped the first weekend of feb,because i was afraid of this weather got some really good early runs.....good luck you all.

Greyfox
03-07-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm just hitting stride in my first real run up here. I tapped too early and got stung for it, so I'm banking on this week. My bush is on a North-facing slope and I'm at 850feet elevation so I'm always a late starter, but I hope I'm not a an early ender as well. It looks good (fingers crossed), but it just goes to remind you that farming will break your heart. Best of luck to you.

Haze
03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
We just collected 100 gallons in the dark tonight. Maybe we'll leave the taps in after Saturday.......