PDA

View Full Version : homemade evap boil help

fatjacks
03-06-2012, 07:28 PM
I have made a homemade evaporater that I made from an old ashely wood stove. I have made several modifications though. The first time I boiled the flue was located on the side of the stove and the flames were sucking out the flue pipe before it hit the pan. I did get a good boil at times, but it was ver inconsitant. The next boil I moved the flue to the back of the stove, thinking that I would get more flames in touch with the pan. I had the same problem. The draft suck the flames right of the pipe. So today I mounted the flue so it would come out the top of the stove in the back. As expected the back of the pan boiled like crazy on my test run. Is there a way to get a more even boil. I do know that I have to make another grate so I can get the flame closer to the pan. I was also think of taking a peice of sheet metal and angleing it so that I goes up toward the flue.
What do you think?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Is everything closed in? how big? wood fired?

hodorskib
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I used to boil on an old barrel hobby evaporator and had the same problem since the pipe came directly out the back. However, with a few modification I cut out the bottime and put in some grates. This way the air came from underneath hit the pan and then went out the stack. With yours I assume your draft is coming from the vents in the front of the stove or the door itself from the front therefore going straight back. I have heard of people putting in a piece of metal or fire brick about 4-6" in front of the hole for the stack this causes the draft to bounce around hitting the pan more. Good luck