PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Drills

ibby458
03-24-2006, 05:16 AM
We rushed out to put up the last 50 buckets before the run started yesterday. I hadn't made arrangements to borrow my son's Dewalt drill, so I couldn't use my regulation tapping bit. Instead, I had to rely on my Craftsman 18 volt, with a new 7/16 regular dill bit. (Reduced shank to fit the 3/8 chuck)

I gotta say, I saw no difference in the hole quality, but it did drill a bit slower than the tapping bit. I got almost exactly the same number of holes/battery charge as with the Dewalt.

THat settles a couple questions for me. I'm gonna buy a new Craftsman 19.2 volt drill (1/2" chuck) so I can use my tapping bit (in my own drill) next year, and I'm going to switch over to the 5/16 spouts for buckets. I got more than twice as many 5/16 holes as I did 7/16, per battery charge. Quicker drilling, too.

Yes, I know I should just get a gas tapper, but I don't like the noise & fumes.

MASSEY JACK
03-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Gas tappers make it a lot easier to break the drill bit off in the tree. I used a cordless drill for the 5/16" holes but had to use a bit brace to drill my 7/16" holes as I don't have a 1/2" cordless drill. I had an almost new tanaka power tapper come with my evaporator but I sold it because I did not want to listen to it either.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Massey Jack,

You can get 7/16" bits with 3/8" shaft to fit your drill about anywhere for $ 4. :D

ibby458
05-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Well - I did it. Sears had a good sale on, and I bought the 19.2 volt drill. Heavy Duty 1/2" hammer drill, 2 batteries, charger & case for $89. I'll pick up some more batteries over the summer and will be all set for tapping.

I dunno if I can wait to try this out. I think I'll go find a maple slated for culling and see how many holes I can get per charge.