PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Roof Needed

mikek101
03-24-2006, 03:27 AM
I have a pretty crude setup using 2 old cast iron bath tubs that I drop 6 hotel pans in for evaporating. I fire the setup with wood. The setup works great for me, as I’m only able to boil on the weekends. The one drawback is that the setup depended on it not raining or snowing, as they are outside in the woods. My trees have finally started to run and I'm looking at the extended forecast we are looking at rain for the weekend after next. I will be fine this weekend, but need to plan for rain for the following weekend.

I need to build a temporary roof structure to cover my tubs so I will be able to boil in the rain. I have several old metal roof sheets and plenty of lumber. I just need some suggestions on how to put it all together. I was also wondering if I suspended a tarp high enough if this would do.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I don’t want to loose this great run.

Mike

WF MASON
03-24-2006, 03:41 AM
If you've got plenty of lumber bang togeather a pole barn , as most would call it.A new Maine blue trap for the roof.Then covered with plastic on two or three sides. Does the trick.

TroutBrookSH
03-24-2006, 09:22 AM
I had my evap set up in a tarp-covered dog kennel for a couple years. :D I think I spent more time in there then the dogs ever did. My regret is that I never took pics of the set-up. Had a big enough tarp to cover 3 sides and the top.

Greg

Michigander
03-24-2006, 10:30 AM
I also have a rather crude setup - cement block arch with a flat pan. I purchased a 12 x 24 tarp at Lowes, attached one 12' end to my wood shed roof (you could use trees) and then using 2- 8' 2x4 for legs and 12' for the ridge pole, I anchored the other 12' side near the ground to provide some protection from the westerly winds.

Got a lot holes in the tarp from stray stack sparks but it did keep us dry during one 4" rainfall two weeks ago. I did have to put a vertical 8" 2x4 under the middle to keep the rain from pooling on the tarp during the worst of the rain.

Be happy to email you a couple of pictures if you wish.

Dave

sweetwoodmaple
03-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Wow, a cast iron bathtub...never thought of that.

I have some pics of my early setup on my web site. Was a whole lot less money that what I got invested now, and I still made good syrup.

Good luck - Brian

MASSEY JACK
03-25-2006, 09:16 AM
I boil in a 13 x 17 greenhouse. I have a tarp on the front that I can roll up or down. I bring the wood to it on metal pallet racks I made from the shipping crates that the Kubota tractors come in. I sheathed over the back of the greenhouse with old roofing tin. I made a set of steel doors that flip open to let the steam out. The stack is in the center of the steel doors and the steam is sucked up out by the heat around the stack. They work very well. I hope to build a real sugarhouse this year.