PDA

View Full Version : question from friend on liquid ring/Indiana 100cfm pump

tuckermtn
03-05-2012, 06:43 PM
got a call this afternoon from a friend with a 3000 tap operation who is having some issues with his indiana vacuum 100cfm pump.

here is his scenario- he seems to be getting extra liquid- presumably sap- in to his coolant tank, thus dilluting and contaminating his coolant (antifreeze) He estimates that he pulled off 20-30 extra gallons through out the entire season last year. So far this year about 10 extra gallons out of the 55 gallon drum he uses for the coolant loop (400 ft of pipe that circulates under cool water coming out of a culvert)

he has a lapierre double vertical releaser, about 6 or 7 years old. He has a cdl moisture trap, which he empties every night- and most nights he has 2 or 3 inches of liquid in the trap bottom. The trap is about 2 years old, and when he turns the pump on and puts the ball up to the top of the trap, it seals right up. is there a chance that the liquid that is getting in to the trap can jump up and around the ball and in to the pump without having the ball shut it off? And is the liquid coming from a leaky o-ring on the releaser or is it something condensing out of the air?

all new to me, as I have never run a liquid ring, but figured I would post it on here...

thanks-

wiam
03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I think the air going through the moisture trap can have moisture in it.

sapman
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I always had sap getting into my Indy liquid ring. No moisture trap, though. But especially when you have slush coming in it seems to jump right into the vacuum line. Not sure why the trap wouldn't get it. Haven't had that happen at all this year with my new setup.