PDA

View Full Version : end of the season?

tbear
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Yesterday we got 3 inches of snow. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 65 degrees. The 10 day forcast is calling for highs in the forties or lower fifties with lows in the low to mid thirties. I've collected about 2 gal. of sap in the last 3 days. Is it over? What will be the best indicator that the season is over?

Cake O' Maple
03-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure if Iowa weather is like Michigan weather, where you wait a minute and it'll change.

FWIW, last year was my first year, and my neighbor was doing the tapping. He pulled the taps when it got warm in late March/early April and cleaned up. About a week in to April it got to being the perfect temps again, I borrowed and re-installed the taps on my trees (3 trees, 6 taps) and made a pint shy of 2 gallons before the warmup came for good.

As long as you're not burned out, I say it ain't over til they bud or the temps don't go below freezing.

I'm sure others have their thoughts, but as a small producer who loves the stuff, that's mine! ;)

tbear
03-06-2012, 07:29 AM
The weather here has been really odd this winter. My concern is that the 10 day forecast (not that it's all that accurite) doesn't include any below freezing temps. I'm expecting a good run today, but, after that it's anyones guess. If there is a couple of teaspoons of sap in the buckets and it stays warm for a few days then runs again will that small amount of icky sap foul the rest of the bucket?

IowaSap
03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Hey there I've been tapping in Iowa for about 10yrs and this HAS been a strange year. I was tempted to put out taps in Feb. but I just put my taps out today as the first week in March is my normal time. I'm probably a 100 or so miles north of you and that may make some difference but I'm usually pulling taps the last couple days in March to the first couple in Apr. Warm day after a snow is perfect and I'd bet you killed it today! Be patient we mighnt be warm for awhile but you'll probably get another cold snap, hey it's Iowa! :cool: I've also noticed that the wind chill can really bump your lows of 35ish down far enough to give you a good run. As far as a couple tablespoons of sap in the buckets I personally wouldn't worry about it. I'd say keep at it what the worst that can happen? God Speed!

tbear
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the reply! It's nice to here from another person in Iowa! Sometimes I feel mighty alone. You're right yesterday and today I collected approx. 80 gal. sap! I'm boiling right now. Just came in to get out of the wind for a few minutes. And yes indeed, God Speed!

IowaSap
03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
You bet! Hey we should get an Iowa section on here like all the big time syrup states. There could be two of us from Iowa! I pulled 2.5 gallons a tap today and now its supposed to get below 30! Time to roll!

tbear
03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Congrats on the 2.5 gal per. Sounds like you're off to a good start! I think there's a guy east of me and one maybe two guys south (one is an older gent so not sure he's still at it). So there's four and maybe five of us! Good luck!

SDdave
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
You bet! Hey we should get an Iowa section on here like all the big time syrup states. There could be two of us from Iowa!

Lucky for you. I have to jump borders and go to the MN section. Ha Ha Ha

SDdave