PDA

View Full Version : Best way to control your blower?

donniet22
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
What does everyone do to control their air flow? I have seen them on dimmer switches but an electrican friend told me not to do this because it could damage the motor. Some people say to put in a damper... just wondering what I should plan on when I strike a match to my new rig this week, I would like to have somekind of control over it.

jmp
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I found it to be easier on the motor by running it at full power all the time. We control the airflow over and under the fire with butterfly valves. Blower, plenum, butterfly valves to upper and lower. Works great.

Brent
03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
to be sure you're not going to screw the motor you need a blower with what is called a shaded pole motor. These are designed to
run through a dimmer

Jec
03-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I just have a piece of cardboard that I put on the inlet and it dampers it down. It won't damper down to nothing, though.

treehugger
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
I just installed a rheostat to my grimm woodsaver blower. I got a five amp model, it cost me $20. Works like a charm. Leader sells them for around $70. I found ine at a electrical supply store ( big box stores don't carry the correct ones).

western mainer
03-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Why not use one of these tool speed controllers I use them in my work shop?
http://www.amazon.com/Router-Power-Tool-Speed-Controller/dp/B0012WKCXK
Brian

adk1
03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
that is the one that I have. it works awesome. simple to use an I like the toggle switch on it..to the left it will let you dial it up and down as you want. to the right, it is full out blower. I must say though that after playing with it for the first couple of boils Ijust ended up running it on full throttle. nice to be able to shut the blower off as you feed though. the middle setting on the toggle is off

Russell Lampron
03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
I run mine full throttle. I put a damper in the plenum to control the air flow. Got it dialed in the first season and haven't touched it since. I have it damped so that I don't have to shut it off to fire the evaporator but the fire is still hot enough to have a full boil all the way to the back of the flue pan.