PDA

View Full Version : Very low sugar content

thorquabbin
03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I volunteer at a local Audubon sanctuary where I run the sugarhouse during group tours. Yesterday they collected a good amount of sap and when they tested it, the batch was only showing 1.2%. Apparently the amount of sap flowing has been outstanding this year, but the sugar content has been low right along.
Has anyone else been getting these kinds of numbers?

mathprofdk
03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I got about 2.4% on my silver maple, and the neighbor across the street (literally) got 1%. Needless to say, it took quite a bit of sap to make my 1/2 gallon of syrup this last weekend!

~DK

sams64
03-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I was probably close to 1.8 to 2 up here in Rowley.

Sam

Tithis
03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
I just finished checking the sugar content of my most recent collection of sap. I tested about 2.1% @ 33f. Thats from 9 sugar maple taps and 1 norway maple tap (still need to collect from the reds).

Granted all of my trees are large crowned yard trees so if I'm only getting 2% I can't imagine the trees in the woods are giving any better :/

For me its the amount of sap that's been a disappointment.

Starting Small
03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
I am on the MA border in Ct and both my sugar content and the amount of sap has been low. I am between 1-1.5% and ridiculously low sap amount. It is a struggle to get 30 gallons each week to get the evaporator going.

SeanD
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Same boat here. Hydrometer is reading 2% in a barrel that has ice floating in it, so it's probably closer to 1.5% or even 1.25%. Volume is way, way down, too but the big difference between this year and '09 is that I'm in week 5 and things are still going. This current hard freeze cycle seems to have gotten things going again.

Sean

wcproctor
03-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Im in the same boat as Sean with volume but all my sap has been 2% or more. That is what has saved me. I have one tree that puts out 3% but very little sap.

Same boat here. Hydrometer is reading 2% in a barrel that has ice floating in it, so it's probably closer to 1.5% or even 1.25%. Volume is way, way down, too but the big difference between this year and '09 is that I'm in week 5 and things are still going. This current hard freeze cycle seems to have gotten things going again.

Sean

SeanD
03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I compared this year to '09. I meant 2010. That was my crazy low volume year with one frost in March.

Sean

NedL
03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Same here. low volume and low sugar. Good thing last year was great. I still have some left over!

Richard Gress
03-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Seacoast NH. I'm running about 2%. Low flow. I've been tapped in since the first week of Feb with 50 taps and have about 3 gallons finished. Looking at the forecast, I have a feeling these next 10 days are going to "make or break" the season.

NH/Pete
03-06-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm tapped in Ipswich Ma and Newton NH. Low volume at both locations although Ipswich is picking up a bit.

ejmaple
03-07-2012, 05:44 AM
i've had avarage flow and avarage to low sugar %. the forecast has me worried, not many lows below freezing. we're at 1250 feet elevation and are usally alot cooler than forecasted 3-5 degrees, but still doesn't look great. today though, there should be some serious sap, should run into the night slowing by tomarrow with no freeze

eustis22
03-07-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm tapped in Ipswich Ma and Newton NH. Low volume at both locations although Ipswich is picking up a bit.

What are the two days of 60 degrees gonna do? What should I do to keep my sap unspoiled before I can boil?

NH/Pete
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
What are the two days of 60 degrees gonna do? What should I do to keep my sap unspoiled before I can boil?

Not sure how much sap you have. I'll be packing snow up around my drums.
Also I will freeze up sap to use as extra large ice cubes in the drums.

Best thing you can do is boil asap.

eustis22
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Not sure how much sap you have. I'll be packing snow up around my drums.
Also I will freeze up sap to use as extra large ice cubes in the drums.

Best thing you can do is boil asap.

Sadly, I have a trip to make so boiling is problemmatical..I'll get some snow around these asap

sams64
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
I went arounf and collected ice chunks this am and will go get what I have left for ice this evening to put in my barrells. i can nto boil until Saturday so I'm going to have to keep ot cold as best I can. I may freese some 2 gallon buckets of sap to toss back in the tanks if I start to lose the ice I have.

I'm also going to wrap some reflective material around my tanks to try and minimize heating up in the sun.

Sam

madmantr
03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
I've averaged about 50 gals to 1 gal syrup. Last night i got 1 gal per tap from 7pm to 6 am . Going to lose some trees to budding today I'm pretty sure. boiling tomorrow or sat .hopefully it will cool off enough to get one more boil on tuesday.