PDA

View Full Version : Plug your tap holes?

Flyboys3
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone, been reading for a while, what a great site with lots of years of knowledge. Yes i am a novice, but i want to learn so here it goes. When you finally pull your taps do you leave the hole open or do you plug it with something? The book "backyard sugarin" says to leave them open but some people say to plug them, so which do I do? If you do plug them then what do you use?
thanks in advavce,
Flyboys3

mountainvan
03-23-2006, 06:36 PM
The book is right. Never put anything in a taphole after you've pulled the spile. You will be doing much more damage to the tree if you do. Think of it this way, if you have a big splinter in your hand do you pull it out or leave it in and wait for the wound to become infected? Same for a tree. Treat it right and it will give you a lifetime of syrup.

VA maple guy
03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Flyboys3, mountainvan is right, last year i pluged a few holes with corks in some reds that i decided not to use. I forgot to pull the corks at the end of the season. when i taped this year i found and pulled the corks i had left. the holes looked just about like they did when i drilled them a year ago.
Gerry

Flyboys3
03-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks alot guys, I just did not know if it would be a problem for the tree with a taphole for a easy entry for insects. but the sliver comparison is great and made sense for me.
Thanks again!
Flyboys3