PDA

View Full Version : Sap depth, connected pans question

smokeyamber
03-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi;

I am building a set of pans, 2x2 syrup and 2x3 rear ( to be drop tube eventually). Question is there is alot of talk of keeping the pans at different depths. My plans were to have the pans connected via copper with valves and an union fitting to allow them to be seperated. I was planning on putting the ports as low as possible on both pans and running both at the same height. How do other folks run different depths with connected pans ? Do they raise up the rear pan ?

Hope to finish these this week and boil as I have 60 gallons already ( some in big sap cubes :lol: ) with more predicted for later this week !

PerryW
03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I think all the drop flue guys run at the same depth for both pans since they are connected.

Us raised flue guys have separate floats so we can independently control depth.

RileySugarbush
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I run mine the same level. I just increased my connection ports from 1/2" to 1" and they are as low to the pan bottoms as possible.

smokeyamber
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Perry and John, that puts my mind at rest... I will put the connections down low and go with the same depth on both ! :cool:

justahobby
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I have 4 pan sections connected with high temperature tubing. 1/2" ID keeps up just fine (15 GPH). Brass hose barbs, norprene beverage hose (250°F+). Freezing is not an issue in the flexible hose, I have some hemastat type clamps so I can isolate individual pans for when I shut down. You can tip the pans easy too without the rigid connections. I don't use hose clamps and have never had any leaks.

The hose is available from McMaster.com

RUSTYBUCKET
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
On my DG 2x6 drop flue, the depth in the front pan is 1 inch higher than the back pan yet on my old Sportsman, the levels were the same from the front pan to the back pan.