PDA

View Full Version : so many drops

Sweet Shady Lane
03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Ok people i have a ? if you get x-number of drips in a minute how many gallons in a day do you get :confused:

happy thoughts
03-04-2012, 04:40 AM
In apothecary units sometimes used for dispensing a dose of medicine, 5 drops (5gtts) =1ml. Probably not terribly accurate for measuring out large volumes but it might be an interesting exercise for you sitting around tending the boil.

5ml=1tsp
3tsp=1TBL
2 TBL =1oz (or 150gtts)

I'll let you take it from there. Make sure to get back to us... and we're gonna want to see your math work:evil:

DrTimPerkins
03-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Ok people i have a ? if you get x-number of drips in a minute how many gallons in a day do you get :confused:

So the big assumption you're making by extrapolating out to an entire day is that the flow rate you measure in that one minute time period will be constant throughout the day. It is most definitely NOT. At the beginning of a run, the sap flows harder (especially under gravity). As time goes on, flow rate will drop. So in my opinion, it probably isn't worth doing the calculation.

PerryW
03-04-2012, 02:00 PM
For a typical run....

When you get two drips per second, you get a pretty full bucket, maybe 2 gallons. When you get one drip per second, you only get a gallon or less.