PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the plug in Alleghent County

Dan W
03-03-2012, 04:08 PM
After two great days weather wise, they were very dissapointing sap days. Almost no sap and a lot was yellow. I boiled off the last 140 gallons this morning. At the very end it started smell just a little bit off and that is when I decided to call it quits. Tomorrow I will finish and filter what I have left and have a real total for the year. This has been a very challenging season with the weather. I am glad I tapped back in January and didn't wait for the more traditional time, I would have only had half of a season.

Paddymountain
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Sorry to see you are done for the season, we tapped Feb 3rd and this week will probably it for us.

Gary R
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Dan, sorry to see it end so soon. I too am happy I did the early start. Look forward to hearing your totals.

SevenCreeksSap
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Dan W I'm right in your same weather zone and starting to see the same, but some buckets are yellowish and some still clear as can be. Still getting some small runs and tapped early too, so I think some of the trees are starting to close up. No buds really popping on the trees yet though. I'm going to give this weekend a chance with the cold and see. looks like after Tuesday next week the weather will be consistently warmer around here. I hate to give in.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Down south in washington county thinks still look good here. Our hard maples arent even showing any sign yet. the softs are just getting buds on them. probably will pull the softs this week and leave the hards in.

Sugarmaker
03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Dan,
Hope your season was a good one!
We may be able to hold on for another couple weeks?? Weather will be the factor.
Regards,
Chris

andyp
03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Dan
Sorry to see your season ending. We are going try and hang on for a couple more weeks.
Made about 60 gal. so far. Hoping for a good run tomorrow. New evaporator working fine averaging about 50 to 55 gal. per hour
Didn't know you could burn a pan with liquid in it.Burnt it on the first boil. Must be a certified sugarmaker now. LoL

Andyp

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I earned that melted solder in my pans too :P

we are holding on down here in washington counrty too. Pulled some red maples today with buds. About 30 or so. Sap was smelling in the flue pan. Sugars still running. Only vacuum though. No gravity.