PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum use in Pan

concord maple
03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Was wondering if I can use a thin guage piece of aluminum as a slide gate between my two sections of parallel flow pans. Not sure if aluminum is acceptable in boiling.

happy thoughts
03-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't see any health or safety issue with using aluminum though some people still cling to the old Alzheimer's myth. Lot's of people use aluminum turkey fryers for evaporating and have no trouble remembering where they parked the car. That said, some people say they can taste aluminum in syrup finished in aluminum and many people dislike the taste of beverages in aluminum cans. Aluminum is a reactive metal so imho, the flavor issue may ring true. How big of a piece of metal are you talking? Could it be cut from an old thin SS pan or baking sheet?

twocanines
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm boiling on a turkey ring, but I am using a stainless pot to boil with. Even back when I started I had noticed that anyone doing this seemed to be doing it in stainless pans. That said we do make a chili once in awhile in an aluminum pot and I can still find my buckets in the woods.

Maybe hunt down a scrap of stainless for your gate?

simpleupdates
03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi All!

If you search on this topic, there is a lot of concern about Aluminum in food. I would suggest avoiding Aluminum entirely.

Better safe than sorry.