PDA

View Full Version : Max taps on a 5/16 gravity line?

MainelyMaple
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
What is the max amount of taps you have put on a 5/16 line? I have a gravity run with great slope and I've got 40 taps on it right now. Last year it ran exceptionally well and I was. impressed with the natural vac I pulled. I have about 20 more trees a little higher on tthe hill that I could easily connect to this same line. Is 60 taps too many? Whats that magic number on this size line? Thanks

SPILEDRIVER
03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
go for it,ive got 50 on the same type setup and its pulling vac better than i could of hoped for.it would have about 20 more but i ran out of tubing.my oldest son runs upwards of 200 on one of his,so dosnt a good friend of mine.

spud
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Although it may appear you are getting a lot of sap I think you may be hurting yourself in the long run. How much sap per tap hole for the season did you get last year. I know you would be getting good natural vacuum but only so much sap can flow through 5/16 tubing at any given time.

Spud

TRAILGUY
03-03-2012, 05:44 AM
all about the slope less then 5% 25 taps, over 5% 50 Taps, over 10% 75 taps and over 15% 100 taps this number may restrict a few of the biggest flows how ever they will produce the greatest natural vacuum giving you the most sap over all. Also went to maple school to hear about the great natural vacuum they are get of 3/16 in VT. Read up it is promising.

MainelyMaple
03-03-2012, 05:50 AM
My sap per tap last year was buckets:10.9, gravity with 10 taps:9.6, gravity with 40 taps:13.9. Obviously the 40 taps on one line was more beneficial than just the 10, however I understand only so much sap can flow through that 5/16 before it hurts you. Just curious if everyone has found that number.

MainelyMaple
03-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Great info trailguy, exactly what I was looking for thanks.

spud
03-03-2012, 06:50 AM
My sap per tap last year was buckets:10.9, gravity with 10 taps:9.6, gravity with 40 taps:13.9. Obviously the 40 taps on one line was more beneficial than just the 10, however I understand only so much sap can flow through that 5/16 before it hurts you. Just curious if everyone has found that number.

Mainely Maple,

This is great information you are given to all Trader's. To get just shy of 14 gallons per tap on gravity is very good. Thank you for sharing the numbers with all of us and taking the time to do some research of your own. It's this kind of post that helps a lot of Traders out while setting up their own woods. I hope you have a great year.

Spud

PerryW
03-03-2012, 07:00 AM
if you are worried about overloading the line...

wait till the sap is running good, then pull the lowest tap on the lateral.

If sap runs out if the tap, you are overloaded. If air sucks into the tap, then you are NOT overloaded.

Dill
03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Perry I have to say that's the best explanation I've seen.

Springfield Acer
03-04-2012, 05:17 AM
I am watching these tubing discussions with interest since I hope to do some tubing next year. It would be all gravity with no chance of ever being vacuumed. The thing in the back of my mind is a comment from the 2006 book "Design, Installation, and Maintenance of Plastic Tubing Systems for Sap Collection in Sugar Bushes" (whew, that's a mouthful) that say to avoid teeing into 5/16 lines and make individual runs.
Is that school of thought gone now or is this a different situation?
My lot is about 300' square and has about 6' of fall corner to corner with the potential for 75 taps. Unfortunately most of the fall occurs at the top and it flattens out at the bottom which is probably opposite of what I want. I'll end up running about 1% slope. Is the maximum of 25 taps below 5% still good?