PDA

View Full Version : Airborn ceramic fibers from stack?

DSKUP
03-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can answer a newbie question for me. I did search for it in the forum but couldn't find this exact issue.

I've read that it makes sense to use a mask when handling ceramic blanket, much like you would when handling fiberglass batts. Just moving the stuff around can cause fibers to go airborn, which can be inhaled.

So, what about the ferocious airflow that moves across the insulation when an evaporator is running? Doesn't that cause fibers to be blown into the air out the stack? I've been sugaring on a homemade block arch for ten years, and of course I can attest that ash particles sometimes rain back down on me and the syrup. Would ceramic fibers be a consern for those using an outdoor arch?

spencer11
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
well the ceramic blanket should be under fire brick so i dont know how any fibers would get out?

spencer

wiam
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
well the ceramic blanket should be under fire brick so i dont know how any fibers would get out?

spencer

Only really needs to be under brick in firebox.

I have not thought of this before but, I think that any that get in your syrup would filter out.

happy thoughts
03-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Good thought, DS. I'd be more concerned about what you're inhaling. It looks like the US NIH classifies inhaled fibers as being "reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens" Here's a 2011 report from them in pdf format that outlines the risks.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/twelfth/profiles/CeramicFibers.pdf

Wearing a mask would make sense to me especially if you're standing around in a lot of smoke. Just make sure it can handle very small particles. The fibers can be under 3 microns in size. The NIH report lists maximum exposure risk in manufacturing to be worst on application and removal. But that said, most of those exposed in the work place are not seeing seeing smoke exposure as you are considering the size of most factory stacks.

DSKUP
03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
May sound a little paranoid to some, but I decided to go with superwool, which claims to be bio-soluble.

Mark
04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I replaced all of mine with superwool this year also. I bought it from Fire Brick Engineers in Milwaukee, they were real nice to deal with.