PDA

View Full Version : raised tube idea

jake1
03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
has anyone ever tried running tubes up through their sap pan and back down? im thinking running six 1 inch by 40 inch stainless pipe just coming up out of the flue and running 1 inch above the bottom of my 2x4 pan then sending it back down, i wonder if they would draw gasses or just airlock? the way my arch it the ramp from the firebox would be blasting the ports to the pipes. just seems like an easy way to do it but i have my doubts on circulation

RileySugarbush
03-02-2012, 10:49 AM
trust your feelings. There is no good reason for the the hot flue gases to take the detour up and through your pipes. Someone on here recently did a version like that only dropping the u tubes filed with sap into the flue.

I believe the easiest home built flue pan is simple vertical drop tubes of copper soldered into the bottom of a pan.

kinalfarm
03-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Try it! I am the guy that did them under the pan and I'm boiling about 22 gph I made 4 gal of syrup yesterday on my arch they work great because the cold sap coming in gets sucked into the tubes and rumbles out the other side. I think you would see an increase doing your idea also but I would use more and bigger tubes. I used 4 1.5" and 4 1.25" tubes, 8 total. I just used as grab bars because they are already bent nice. I was careful to only use good ones that a magnet would not stick to. I and curious to here how your idea works. My only concern is how to clean them regularly between boils without removing your pan.

jake1
03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
its good to hear you setup works, i think maybe it will work better than mine, i just cant see the gases circulating that well but who knows, do you have any problems with sap burning in the tubes or does it circulate nicely. ive spent a few seasons surgaring in sherman with the merediths, i like it back in your neck of the woods, ell i may try this tue idea just dont know weather to drop or raise them, i think ill drop them, seems like a for sure thing, what gph difference did you notice?