PDA

View Full Version : middle age crisis

maplecherry
03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Middle age crisis - looking to try something new - 25 yr old girlfriend, big truck, or sugaring? Going with sugaring(even though it may not be the least expensive option). Surrounded by 2 unused maple orchards and i'm picking the edges and straggler trees on my peice of swap in between finally after thinking about it for 12 years. Been reading this site for a while now and love the format. Never made a drop of syrup, but the kids love it and i like burning wood-could be a win/win if all goes well. Going with homemade set up - really like the fact that you can go NASCAR or streetstock with this stuff. Will spend the next month making some steam, mistakes, and hopefully some syrup. Then spend the next 11 mos getting ready for next year - i love it - almost as good as deer season.

adk1
03-01-2012, 08:46 PM
maplecherry, that is a great analogy...NASCAR to streetstock..I like that..stay away from the 25 year olf girlfriend, she would just take your truck.. :)

cherryfarmer
03-01-2012, 08:52 PM
are you around traverse city michigan

fishman
03-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Better yet, find a 25 year old with her own truck to help you with sugaring. You'd be a happy man and the envy of most on this site. :lol:

backyard sugaring
03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
You haven't lived till you have made the most expensive syrup you ever bought. Spending time with family and friends is priceless. Good luck. Lee

Tom59
03-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Wecome to the site. Venison & syrup!!!!! Cant think of a better outdoor experience! Making me hungry. Good luck in your ventures. If the 25 year old hunts & hauls sap, hey, what the hell!!!! LOL. .

LDF
03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Almost as good as deer season!! Funny you say that, a coworker told me today that I sounded as excited about tapping (I was looking at the extended forecast) as I do about deer season. It only happens once a year, the same as deer season so I guess it makes sense. I suppose you could tap trees in July, not sure what the sap would be like or if you would even get any? I'm ready to go by next weekend.

Greyfox
03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
It is actually the big-three of seasons.

Deer season, celebrated with friend and family, firearms and long times in the woods.
Sugaring season, celebrated with friends and family, firewood, and long times in the woods.
4th of July, celebrated with friend and family, fireworks, and a fishing vacation at the camp.

Get the 25 year old to shoot, fish, and haul sap, and you've got it all.....up until she takes it all in the divorce. Yeah, better stick with 'sugaring.

PapaSmiff
03-02-2012, 11:17 AM
This post will probably be deleted, but even with the 25-year old girlfriend, you might only be tapping once a year.

PerryW
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
If you're gonna be a sugar daddy, it might as well be a maple sugar daddy.

oneoldsap
03-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Middle age crisis - looking to try something new - 25 yr old girlfriend, big truck, or sugaring? Going with sugaring(even though it may not be the least expensive option). Surrounded by 2 unused maple orchards and i'm picking the edges and straggler trees on my peice of swap in between finally after thinking about it for 12 years. Been reading this site for a while now and love the format. Never made a drop of syrup, but the kids love it and i like burning wood-could be a win/win if all goes well. Going with homemade set up - really like the fact that you can go NASCAR or streetstock with this stuff. Will spend the next month making some steam, mistakes, and hopefully some syrup. Then spend the next 11 mos getting ready for next year - i love it - almost as good as deer season.

I tell flatlanders that VT actually has only two seasons , Deer and Sugaring ! The rest of the year is spent getting ready for those two seasons . You made a wise decision , besides those Evaporators are Chick magnets anyway , things have a way of evening out .

SDdave
03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
This post will probably be deleted, but even with the 25-year old girlfriend, you might only be tapping once a year.

I was thinkin' the same thing.

SDdave

Indiana-Jones
03-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Buy the evaporator.
Lease the truck
Rent the 25 year old

Bucket Head
03-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Yes, the racing/syrup making analogy is a good one! My advice; wear a helmet while your sugaring. That way, hopefully, you won't hurt yourself while your beating your head against a wall during a bout (or bouts?) of "maple frustration". Since suffering some nose and chin injuries while beating my own head on the wall, I would reccomend a full-face helmet.

Steve

KenWP
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Choice of a 25 year old girlfriend or maple. Sorry but even a 30 year old would win hands down. A guy can buy two cans of syrup and have enough for pancakes for a year.