PDA

View Full Version : should i re-tap or not????

pierre
03-01-2012, 06:41 PM
i put in 200 taps on two of my main lines on 2/17 sap ran on & off but now its going to be our normal time to tap the rest . my thoughts are to re-tap those first 200 cause its going on a month now that they've been in any thoughts on this . if i do re- tap do i fill the old holes with something or not

Redmaple
03-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Re-drill the holes that are already there. Just reem them a little or go up a tap size. I dunno?

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-01-2012, 06:51 PM
definitely do not re-tap. This puts more wounds in the tree and creates more stress. Besides, if its only been a month, they should still run for you. Good Luck, Neil

happy thoughts
03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Fill old holes???? Are you talking about pulling old taps and setting new ones in a different place on the same tree?? Absolutely do not do that unless the tree is big enough to take another tap and you haven't already maxed out on the number of taps for it's diameter. Besides, your taps are barely 2 weeks old if you tapped on 2/17. They should have a lot more life. Just give them a chance.

When you pull taps, leave the tap holes as is. Don't fill them with anything otherwise you risk hurting the tree through insect damage and decay.

pierre
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
yeah thats what i figured i just thought my holes will be heeling over by the time its going strong here end of march